Oregon Speedfeed for Honda

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ipocalypse, Apr 10, 2010.

1. ipocalypse

ipocalypse LawnSite Member
    from Macon

I have a Honda Trimmer UMK422 and want to put the Oregon Speedfeed on. First is will it fit and should i use the small or big head? I will appreciate the help.

2. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

Attached is the chart, check it out. I believe I got it from Richard Martin, if not, let him have the credit anyway. He helped out plenty.

Attached Files:

3. ipocalypse

from Macon

Thanks, it looks like both the small and big head will work 3.75 and 4.5. Now I need help in which one will be better for my trimmer.

4. Alan0354

I don't know how will it affect the balance. I have the smaller one on my M242 and it does not hold a lot of string. It is ok for me because I am not a LCO, but I don't think I'll be happy if I use it all day long.

Yes the Speedfeed head is soooooooo much better than the Honda head. I have the Honda and I know.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  5. FThera

FThera LawnSite Member

Is there an adapter to use the speed feed on the Kawasaki straight shaft trimmers?

6. ipocalypse

from Macon

How much line does the small speed feed hold?

7. IndianSprings

IndianSprings LawnSite Member

I believe our small one holds 15 feet of .095 line, we run a small one on the Stihl 80's a large one on the 90R and our shindawia 246? runs the small one.
    You won't regret spending the money on the head, they are the cat's azz.
    We've run the Stihl heads for years, but the speed feed is the only way to go.

8. green monster

green monster LawnSite Member

That Oregon Speedfeed head is made by Shindaiwa. I would suggest visiting a Shindaiwa dealer and getting the Speedfeed head that comes with all the adaptors. They make a universal fit version with a bunch of adaptors.

9. Merkava_4

Merkava_4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for that chart Alan; I'm sure it'll come in handy someday. :)

10. Alan0354

I would say about 10 feet each side, total about 20 feet. I don't know exactly, but it definitely hold less than the regular Honda head. But it is just so easy. Line up the arrow, stick the string through and cut so you get equal length, then just turn the head. You have to know how much to cut though. I wasted a few feet just the other day because it got full and I am too lazy to unwind the string as start over again. Winding the Honda head is a pain. It does not have a separator and I had to stick my index finger in between the two string to separate them during winding. Or else the string will bind and won't tap out.

I got the chart from here, I believe from Richard Martin, not 100% sure. So thank him, not me. I just have a habbit to safe things in case of future use.