Oregon speedfeed head?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, Mar 16, 2008.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

My dad likes the shindaiwa speedfeed heads so he was at the dealer trying get a new one but the dealer was out. They said shiny's patent was over and that oregon made a speedfeed head that comes with all the adapters and is yellow and green. But they didn't get the bigger ones in yet. I checked mowpart and can't find them. Has anybody used or knows about this trimmer head??

2. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i use shindaiwas, never seen a oregon, my dealer has loads of them, might try getting them to order one.:usflag:

3. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah but nobody knows nothing about when they're going to get em.

4. chsmith700

chsmith700 Inactive

Let me look thru the Oregon catalog for 2008. Could be possible we just have not added it yet.

Standby.....

5. str400ex

str400ex LawnSite Member

express mower parts have them in stock I got one for my new stihll

6. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

The patent didn't "run out". Shindaiwa sold Oregon the rights to reproduce it with the Oregon name. There are also Shindaiwa branded 375 heads this year which are packaged in "universal" fit ups with adapters to fit even homeowner units like Sears/Poulan, MTD, Ryobi, Homelite and etc. etc.

It is my personal opinion, from having run our T242 demo unit with both the 450 head AND the 375 head, that the 375 head should be the size of choice. Even though it holds less line, it allows higher RPMs due to the lower weight, and also adds less weight to the gearbox end of the trimmer.

And yes, Shindaiwa dealers are upset about Shindaiwa parting out the rights to the SpeedFeed head, but I guess Oregon offered enough money on the table that Shindaiwa decided to screw their dealers yet again.

7. chsmith700

chsmith700 Inactive

Take a peek at this reference chart: Oregon X-Ref Chart for Trimmer Heads provided by Oregon for shindaiwa trimmer head replacement.

Use the part number to your needs on Mowpart.com search on the left hand side, if you are unable to find it shoot me a PM or give us a call in the AM.

8. K/B

K/B LawnSite Senior Member

Oregon does NOT carry the Speed-Feed 450, they currently only have the 375. However, STENS has both Speed-Feed models.
    And yes, we were upset that Shindaiwa sold the rights to Oregon & Stens (we're a Shindaiwa dealer), but fortunately as a dealer we can get them cheaper than Oregon & Stens has them for.

9. chsmith700

chsmith700 Inactive

10. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

So this is why the Kawasaki rep told me later this year that the new units should come stock with the speed feed heads.I can't wait for that day. HI-FIVE