1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Organic Apple Trees

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Daner, May 2, 2009.

1. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a area of land that has about 20 wild apple trees

They have never been cared for In any way..There any where between 8'-20'

Will my compost tea be good for these trees?

Some put out some nice apples, and the others are just hanging In there

Tips on pruning would help too...I know not to cut any more than a 1/3rd
    and the branch,s that turn down...Thanks for any tips

I will hop on the 4 wheeler and run down to snap a few pics
  2. FOL

FOL LawnSite Member

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Compost Does A Soil & Apple Tree Good!
  4. Daner

5. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

oh jah, those poor trees.... give them the works and prune as little as can be done..........
  6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

It should be safe to cut out the center, but try it first with your least productive. This should only be done in late spring, so pruning out for this year, in Wisco.

They seem like a Johnny Appleseed planting... What varieties do you have?
  7. Daner

I told you they ere Wild :waving:I will have a go at them with my pole chain saw and a pair of loppers

Not sure what Kind they are...The apples are red with a bit of yellow /green In them

EDIT...ahh Ok your saying that they were droped by the horses???...
  8. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

Personally I would forego trying to get apples this year, and maybe even next. Concentrate on starting to reduce the crowns a bit, and thinning the middles of the trees out for light and air penetration.

Heres how I would tackle it:
    Clean ALL the deadwood out first. This deadwood is robbing you of vital space in those trees.

Then go through the center and grab anything that is rubbing. If two branches are rubbing take the one that will make the smallest pruning wound, but keep in mind the branch you leave should have a good attachment point and growth habit.

After that is done post some pics of each tree individually, and we'll see if there is enough life left to start reducing them, LIGHTLY. If not that might be all the trees can handle this year....? The 30% rule is more for younger trees that can handle it. these older trees should stay at 15-20% MAX, not including deadwood.

Get rid of that grass, and apply some compost, cover it with wood chips. Start at the trunk and put 1/2"-1", but not touching the bas of tree. taper that out to the ends of the branches, to 4" deep. This will add vigor, and keep down the grass, and other weeds competing for nutrients.

Go slow, have a reason for making every cut, and focus on making GOOD PRUNING CUTS!

Take more pics!!!!!
  9. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Good advise BB, the only thing I would change is take your compost about 4-6 feet beyond the drip line.