1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Organic application prgrams?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by tcalb2, Mar 13, 2007.

1. tcalb2

tcalb2 LawnSite Member

I'm new to organic fertilizers and pesticides. I was wondering if you guys had certain types of fertilizer and pesticides that you've had good luck with. I've been told that "sustain" is a good fertilizer but i can't find any information about it. thanks guys

2. Naturalman

Naturalman LawnSite Member

There are a lot of good products available. My suggestion would be to spend some focused time reading through the various threads on this forum - LOTS of info about various products, their effectiveness, what they can and cannot do. My one specific suggestion is that when you decide on a product to try, get a copy of its label first, and read/understand all the directions and ingredients, before using it.:)

3. tcalb2

tcalb2 LawnSite Member

thank you for your help, I've been going through this forum and its helped out alot.

4. MaineFert

MaineFert LawnSite Member
    from Maine

tcalb2,
    Naturalman is right. This is a great place to learn about different products especially in the growing organic industry. We have tried many with our company, and found that Sustane is pretty expensive, it also made with turkey "litter." The litter contains bedding materials which will are difficult to degrade and therefore will not be plant available for a while. Just something to consider. I hate to sound biased, but we settled on Nutrients PLUS fertilizers for our applications in Maine, and found it to work very well. But definitely visit websites and become familiar with all products. Don't just apply it because it says "organic"
    Jim

5. tcalb2

tcalb2 LawnSite Member

thanks for the advice. I've been search this forum along with a few others trying to figure out which products to use. Like you said I want to know more about these products before I go apply them, alot of products today have the organic logo on them but I just don't know how safe each one is. I don't want to mislead the customer about a product. thanks for the help guys