Organic Ball Field ?'s

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Left Field, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Left Field

Left Field LawnSite Member

Hello Group ,

My soil analysis came back today .... interesting stuff . here goes :

ph 5
    smp 4.7
    ss 0.11
    om 10.4 ( % )
    p 1
    k 581
    ca 4.5
    mg 2.2
    n03 12
    nh4 20
    s 26.9
    b 0.1
    zn 0.1
    mn 54
    cu 0.1
    fe 15
    tb 8.2

I called the Dale at Agri-check and spoke with him for nearly an hour ... I'll summarize .

His main concern was my almost non-existant phosphorus (p) . He says that 30 to 60 ppm is what I want .. I have 1 ppm . Without me bring it up , he says " I'll guarantee you that this grass has very shallow roots and is very sensitive to dry conditions ... it's a wonder it didn't just die " ... I guess my aggressive watering last year saved me (?) .

My PH is low , but his recommendation is to first get my P levels adjusted properly .

He said that my organic matter at 10.4 % appears artificially high ... did I add something ? I explained that this was basically forest soil before I created the ballfield . He said that this level will drop over time .

My intent is to get some P on the field asap .

I'm sure it is very obvious that I desperately need guidance ... THANK YOU to all who have responded !!

Am I going in the right direction ??

J.D.

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I would help if we knew what soil series your dealing with. Can you look it up on the following site and print out a pdf report of the physical soil properties and post it, or you can PM me your exact location and I can do it for you.

http://websoilsurvey.nrcs.usda.gov/app/WebSoilSurvey.aspx

Also, some pictures would be cool. :)

3. Left Field

4. Left Field

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Am I close? The AOI is the triangle and is located North-West of Devils Lake.

LincolnCity_OR.jpg

6. Left Field

Hello ,

Yes ... you found me !! At the top of the photo you will see " clancy rd " ... my place is almost exactly under those letters . I am NW of Devils Lake .

Thx !! J.D.

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

OK, Pick your soil series. Based on your pics, I'm thinking it is the 64C.

LincolnCity_OR.jpg

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Here is the soil report for the AOI I just posted. I included all the reports I thought you might be interested in. Read it and let us know when your finished.

Attached Files:

9. Left Field

Hi ,

I've been trying to figure out how to ' attach ' my findings from the site that you provided ... I failed . :mad:

The map that you show is actually about 100 yds . North of my place . Very nearly identical terrain , so I'll bet that any analysis of one would apply to the other ( hopefully ) .

I'll do some readin' .

Thx !! J.D.

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Based on your soil test, I'm betting your sitting on 64C—Winema-Fendall, in particular the Winema minor. I'm basing this on your measured pH and SOM %.

So I'm also going to assume the soil your sitting on is representative of the 0-18 inch depth (eg. you didn't bring in any soil)