1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Organic Ball Field ?'s

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Left Field, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Left Field

Left Field LawnSite Member

Hello Group ,

My soil analysis came back today .... interesting stuff . here goes :

ph 5
    smp 4.7
    ss 0.11
    om 10.4 ( % )
    p 1
    k 581
    ca 4.5
    mg 2.2
    n03 12
    nh4 20
    s 26.9
    b 0.1
    zn 0.1
    mn 54
    cu 0.1
    fe 15
    tb 8.2

I called the Dale at Agri-check and spoke with him for nearly an hour ... I'll summarize .

His main concern was my almost non-existant phosphorus (p) . He says that 30 to 60 ppm is what I want .. I have 1 ppm . Without me bring it up , he says " I'll guarantee you that this grass has very shallow roots and is very sensitive to dry conditions ... it's a wonder it didn't just die " ... I guess my aggressive watering last year saved me (?) .

My PH is low , but his recommendation is to first get my P levels adjusted properly .

He said that my organic matter at 10.4 % appears artificially high ... did I add something ? I explained that this was basically forest soil before I created the ballfield . He said that this level will drop over time .

My intent is to get some P on the field asap .

I'm sure it is very obvious that I desperately need guidance ... THANK YOU to all who have responded !!

Am I going in the right direction ??

J.D.

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I would help if we knew what soil series your dealing with. Can you look it up on the following site and print out a pdf report of the physical soil properties and post it, or you can PM me your exact location and I can do it for you.

http://websoilsurvey.nrcs.usda.gov/app/WebSoilSurvey.aspx

Also, some pictures would be cool. :)

3. Left Field

4. Left Field

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Am I close? The AOI is the triangle and is located North-West of Devils Lake.

LincolnCity_OR.jpg

6. Left Field

Hello ,

Yes ... you found me !! At the top of the photo you will see " clancy rd " ... my place is almost exactly under those letters . I am NW of Devils Lake .

Thx !! J.D.

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

OK, Pick your soil series. Based on your pics, I'm thinking it is the 64C.

LincolnCity_OR.jpg

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Here is the soil report for the AOI I just posted. I included all the reports I thought you might be interested in. Read it and let us know when your finished.

Attached Files:

9. Left Field

Hi ,

I've been trying to figure out how to ' attach ' my findings from the site that you provided ... I failed . :mad:

The map that you show is actually about 100 yds . North of my place . Very nearly identical terrain , so I'll bet that any analysis of one would apply to the other ( hopefully ) .

I'll do some readin' .

Thx !! J.D.

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Based on your soil test, I'm betting your sitting on 64C—Winema-Fendall, in particular the Winema minor. I'm basing this on your measured pH and SOM %.

So I'm also going to assume the soil your sitting on is representative of the 0-18 inch depth (eg. you didn't bring in any soil)