Organic Fert & Compost

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by thinksnow, Apr 16, 2008.

1. thinksnow

thinksnow LawnSite Member

I 've begun the organic process in my yard. I put down 9-0-0 corn gluten in the front yard back in mid march, so far so good. The grass is so thick in the back yard I don't any weeds back there so I don'tput anything down. So here is where I get confused. I understand that weed-n-feed is bad because of the herbicides. Is straight fertilizer bad? It's just nitrogen, phosphorous and pottasium. Do these have a level of toxicity to them? I see organic fert. advertised all the time. Scotts sells one but looking at the bag they don't list any active ingredients. Can someone fill me in on this?

Next topic being compost. I have a local farm that sells organic finished compost. http://www.ag-choice.com/finished.html. I've been told this is the very best thing I can do for my soil. How do you spread compost? Can I put it in my broadcast spreader?

2. GreenthumbGA

GreenthumbGA LawnSite Member

thinksnow,

if you can make some time, do a search on spreading compost.

3. GreenthumbGA

GreenthumbGA LawnSite Member

there is also a recent thread on scotts oraganics...check it out

4. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

the salt in the fert along with volitiles is the prob. with traditonal fert.

any ways we noticed this week a lesco(just there to get a gasket) that synth fert is almost as much as organic and top soil/ compost is still after years only $1.47 per bag

heres how we spread
    http://www.newerspreader.com/details.htm

5. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

From what I understand the salt in the synthetic ferts acts is a desiccant that sucks out the moisture in the soil and micro organisms living in it. The result is dead bacteria and fungi and a step backward in your organic program.

slug + salt = not so good