organic fert programs

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mkroher, Sep 27, 2007.

1. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

hi. I need some advice on how to setup a program for a potential organic fert program. From what I understand, 2 apps of organic fert would be sufficient for a season, rather than the 4-5 step program of sythetic ferts. If this is true, how do you sell the program and fill the gaps between applications? This is what I've thought of.

spring organic fert ~ April

liquid/WP pre-emergent ~mid May

merit ~ late June-July

fall organic fert

Technically, I can push the spring app later and do a combo with the pre-emergent, so I'm down to 3 rounds. Maybe preventative fungicides? My concern is can I profit more by switching if I price it right. How much can I charge to spread organic fert? For a 10K lawn, I have to open 3 bags of organic fert vs 1 bag of synthetic. Doesn't seem like it's worth it unless I triple my cost. 3 bags of fert = ~80-90 bucks $240 for an app? who the hell is going to pay that? hrm.. i need to crunch numbers more.

Any help is appreciated. I'm meeting with my first potential organic fert customer this weekend. He says his lawn is the best on the street, and he's ready for the next step. Who knows. Maybe his lawn is crap. Maybe he should buy his own organic fert since he claims he's doing such a great job now anyways.
  2. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

We offer 5 granular ferts a year:
    Early spring (CGM, straight, NP with cavalcade)
    Late spring
    Summer Stress Reliever
    Early fall
    Late Fall

Additional apps:
    Soil Samples
    Soil amendments
    Liquid apps (we call them soil boosters)
    Chemical weed control
    Grub control (merit)

We use Nutrients Plus fertilizers and have had good results. You're looking at 2-1 bag ratio so you're bascially doubling the fert.
  3. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Check out

I think this is the only organic lawn service around here. With the prices they charge, it wouldn't take too many customers to make a great income.:usflag:
  4. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

But i still want to use the "chemicals". I just want to switch some people over to organic fert.