1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Organic flea control?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by DeepGreenLawn, Jul 21, 2008.

1. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Is there anything out there organicly (preferred) or tradtionaly that can control fleas? Had a customer email me with this problem.

Where and how do fleas live outside? Other than your local pets. :hammerhead:
  2. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Fleas like it in sunny grass.
    The same nematodes used for grub control has been known to work on fleas.
  3. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

Diatomaceous earth out doors and mint oil indoors, smirk and guffaw, that's an easy one and almost 1/2 our calls start off with" can you control fleas?
  4. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

TG, does neem oil work on fleas? It knocked the snot out of flea beetles and lace wings in my garden.
  5. treegal1

you killed your lace wings.....:cry::cry::cry:

neem oil is a IGR so yes thats a maybe...
    why go so broad spectrum with neem oil? a mechanical pesticide works so good and is 1/2 the cost per K
  6. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Fleas can also be on coons, squirrels, ferral cats, and other wildlife and transfer to pets, or your home if the invade an attic or chimney, they'll move into shoes/boots left out overnight too I hear. I've seen them thick like spilled pepper on a sidewalk where a cat had taken over a burrow underneath to have kittens. DE is good stuff, although I have never had to use it for fleas.

funny side note on fleas....I once had a red fox (road kill) in the deep freeze planning to have a hat made of it. Pulled it out several months later and as I unwrapped it a flea comes waltzing out of it's ear. Tough little buggers.
  7. treegal1

the black plague comes into mind.....
  8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

9. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

Tell me more. I thought the lace wings were responsible for the cats that were chomping on my tomato leaves. My eggplant was infested with flea beetles, and neem oil was the recommendation I got from several sites for control of the flea beetles. The damage from the lace wings was minimal, so if there is something that will get rid of the flea beetles without harming the lace wings, and the lace wings have some beneficial value, I am all ears.

Cost per K is a minor issue. I am dealing with about 100 sq. ft. But, hey, I hate wasting money and killing things I shouldn't kill.
  10. treegal1

Because they feed on aphids and other pests, lacewings are beneficial insects. They do not bite or sting.