Organic Hydroseeding/hydrofeeding

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Prolawnservice, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

So far almost all the info I've seen about doing this has the product Stewards(Eric) was selling attached to it. Does anyone know if you can get simular or better results without using his very cost prohibitive product?

2. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

try some worm compost and alfalfa meal, with a wood pulp or paper fiber..........

3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Prime or pregerminate the seed in a 30 gallon trash can with compost tea, if you want to kick it up a notch add some mycorrhizae and trichoderma

Use the seed as a delivery system of beneficials into the soil

Add 1 yard of screened compost 1/8 inch minus to the mix per 650 gallons of water

4. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Jeez, where's a guy going to find worm castings in the wilds of NJ? :rolleyes:

5. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

i know some where too:dancing:

great biology too

6. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Excellent. Worm poo rules!!

7. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Worm me baby

8. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Pro, Rick Hardy, or WhySod as he his internetly known, is the first hydroseeder that I know of to use the products Erik sells in a hydroseeder. I dont know if he is the very first, but certainly a pioneer in using the product in that manner. He liked the product so well that he became a distributor. He is also the first person I know of to use the term hydrofeeding. Again I dont know if he is the first, but I am pretty sure Melendrez was asking him how he used the product in this manner before he started promoting hydrofeeding. You can try to contact him thru his website at Whysod.com, (I would give you his phone number, but I dont have his permisson to do so), to get more information on the actual hydrofeeding process. Tell him I sent you. I know he has more hands on experience using hydroseeders and Eriks product line than Erik does, and he was using the product way before Erik became a distributor. (Hell, I used it in a hydroseeder before Erik even owned one). Rick is no longer a licensed distributor with that organic company, but he still uses the product. Its a very good product, but very expensive if you follow their protocols.

A few other places to look would be MesaVerda (sp) humates, and Umates.com. Also the ICT seems to be doing me a pretty good job, altho I feel it needs just a little help, hint, hint, call MesaVerda or Umates:laugh:

I would also look for a reprint of a Article by Dr. Michael Karr (googel his name)concerning the use of Humates. You might be suprised as to how little is actually needed to provide a benefit.

9. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks everyone, Mud while I have your attention, what would be the best way to stabilize a 3:1 slope with a jet machine(tomorrow before it rains on Thursday), regular or organic.

10. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey Mudd, the 1-2-3 Hydro-seed product is just biology (no NPK or micronutrients) and probably could use a little nutrient help from humates. Our latest batch (not bottled yet) we have stepped up the biology count by 100X

You are right about spoon feeding humates, a little goes a long way, too much actually gets the opposite results that you want, it starts sequestering nutrients

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008