Organic lawn care florida

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by DISTURBEDSMR, Feb 13, 2008.

1. DISTURBEDSMR

DISTURBEDSMR LawnSite Member

Anyone on here use the organic fertilizers and weed control I am interested in going organic and would like input especially from other people in florida but would like help from anyone thanks

2. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

do you have a applicator license?

3. Newby08

Newby08 LawnSite Senior Member

lol, thats about the first thing you'll here on this site... if you don't have one you better be getting one or else you won't ever here the end of it.

I live in North GA and plan on starting a organic based company this year. So maybe we can compare notes on how things are going. What kind of soil do you have there?

4. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

corn meal gluten is good, 6-1-1, also try soy meal and thiamine(spanish moss).if you have sand,(we live in jensen beach) you should think about hydro mulching verticaly in to the ground.and use lots of compost tea.... And since when do you need an applicators lic. for worm sh*t and compost. these chem. guys are a laugh, to many spray fumes has hurt their brain. go see the soil food web inc. dr.ingham is a real help!or safelawns.org

5. Newby08

hydro mulching... is that where you shoot the chems into the soil? what machines do that and where can you find them? if that is what it is

6. Newby08

hey disturbed, I started a new thread called back to the basics to get new people like you and me to be able to learn the basics about organics. Check it out, I've posted some websites that will get you started. Hopefully other people will join in. This is a great place to learn but as some others have pointed out to me don't forget to get out there and learn some things on your own.

7. Elden

Elden LawnSite Member

Treegal, you don't need a licsense to put out compost or fertilize (only fertilizer no compound products like weed n feed). If you are spraying anything on the lawn you have to be liscensed, rather it be from a hand held sparyer all the way up to a 1 million gallon spray rig. Unless the owner supplies you with product and application equipment, then you can apply it for them. Get the laws and study them, If you are going to be in the business you should know the laws and regulations. Vertical mulching is not a practice used in lawn care. It would provide poor results and take countless hours to perform. Even if you did it 6" apart you would not get the desired results for the lawn. Vertical mulching is used for trees to create aeration, allow water and nutrient to get the roots better, and add organic matter to the soil profile. Have you looked at arboristsite.com it's just like lawnsite.

Disturbed, there is a practice that would be similar to what treegal described. If you aerate and then topdress with compost you can create the same effect. Aeration makes lots of little holes in the lawn, then topdressing w/compost will partially fill in those holes. It will give the lawn basically the same benifit as vertical mulching will do for trees. If you have other questions pm me

8. treegal1

hydro mulching is like hydro seeding with out seed,the mulch we use we make in house,rec. fruit boxes,fine ground tree waste(1/4inch or smaller)palm choir fines,worm castings and a little soy meal. it goes through a pump and down a 1" pipe,like putting a hose in the ground.
    you can also use post hole diggers and bag mulch, works the same, on big yards that we get lazy on we just put 2 pounds of worms on the grass and it"does its own thing"
    if the organic material is there.Why not "just get back to baisics" and spread a ton of good compost,works every time....

9. treegal1

the whole point is to add organic matter, and maybe if some one asks how it is done, then their business would be as brisk as mine is. Vertical mulch started out for trees that is true. But after seeing some talll grass over past "tree vertical mulch holes "we stumbled onto some thing that works great and is very profitable, organics is not about spraying death!

10. Elden

Elden LawnSite Member

So instead of putting out compost or compost tea, your company is putting out compost slushie. This is truly a new idea to me. I have never heard it on here or anywhere else in terms of using it for organics. Great idea.