Organic matter-based chemical fertilizers

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by dallen, May 4, 2006.

1. dallen

dallen LawnSite Member

I've seen several composted organic matter-based fertilizers, usually derived from poultry litter, which have been enriched with chemical or synthetic NPK fertilizers. Does anyone have any first-hand experience with these products? Will light applications of composted organic matter have much of an impact on turf?
  2. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

"Light" applications? Do you mean stretching the bags out for more footage? Follow the directions.
    As far as how good are they, I've used Sustane products and they are great. They make an 18-1-8w/Nutralene which is excellent, and a 10-2-10 which is also very good. Not a quick green up like a regular fert, as the idea is to feed the soil which feeds the grass. Synthetic ferts go straight to the plant.
  3. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

The fortified organic products can be a beneficial part of an organic-based program in the cooler months of the year, when there is less soil microbial activity. Use the all organic products when soils are warm and microbial activity is at its peak.....
  4. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

This is exactly the program that I have been using for the past 5 years. I love it, my customers love it, they refer me like crazy. I have stopped advertizing because I am receiving too many referrals to keep up with. 5 granular ferts (1st contains Team Pro or Dimension) then the rest contain no pesticides, unless they want grub control. Spot spray the weeds. Thick lawns, very few weeds.