Organic Matter

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by jonesey, Mar 6, 2008.

1. jonesey

jonesey LawnSite Member

Need to rasie the organic matter in the soil from .07% to 4.00% can use cow manure do not know the organic matter in the cow manure need help.

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Organic Matter is organic matter, for the most part. Some more digestted than others but I never thought of there being an OM that is more OM than another.

3. jonesey

jonesey LawnSite Member

Need to know the % of organic matter in composted cow manure. yes organic matter is organic matter no mater what.

4. Organic a go go

Organic a go go LawnSite Member

You're not going to get where you want to go thinking like that. If you're currently at <%1 OM and you want to arrive at %4 then then the answer is
    it'll take a lot of manure. Why is %4 your magic number?? Keep adding till you see the results you want and if for some reason you've promised someone %4 then you'll have to keep doing a soil test to know for sure but numbers aren't the key, results are.

5. jonesey

jonesey LawnSite Member

This is not a # that i pulled out of a hat.
    It is the specs. for the job the GC bid the job then asked for a bid from me on the hydroseeding.
    The top soil that they hauled in was tested and was at .07% OM.
    Got 1.5 Acres to do at 4" deep if the cow manure is 50% OM i will have to haul in about 90 ton. Have not ever had to add OM to soil new to me all specs. for all new city jobs will have this new specs on it. all OM will be 4% or above.

6. Organic a go go

Organic a go go LawnSite Member

Well someone will have to pay for a soil test to confirm those numbers. If you're looking for a definite formula I don't think you'll find it. Do the specs include a time frame or do you have to do magic overnight?

7. jonesey

jonesey LawnSite Member

Magic overnight

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I'm curious how this is your responsibility? If the GC hauled in the topsoil, wouldn't it be his responsibility to adhere to city specs?

9. jonesey

jonesey LawnSite Member

Yes will have to do sol test city will pay for all passing test

10. jonesey

jonesey LawnSite Member

GC is paying me to add OM to the soil