Organic Misquito Spray

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by BareFootLawn, Jun 12, 2004.

1. BareFootLawn

BareFootLawn LawnSite Member

Does anyone have any experience using a product called "Garlic Barrier"?
    I just used it on my backyard and on an account in my neighborhood. Both yards had tons of mosquitos. Before I was done spraying, you didn't notice any. I mowed them both earlier in the day and was getting eaten alive.
    Mixed 5oz/gal and both lawns were app. 6500 sq/ft.

Anyone else using this stuff?

2. googleplex

googleplex LawnSite Member

Barefoot,

do you know how long it's supposed to last?

And, is it expensive?

Thanks in advance!

3. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

4. cenlo

cenlo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I have sprayed a product called "Purple Martin" also a garlic based spray. I noticed little to no effect. I would like to try a new product. Has any one used the above.

5. BareFootLawn

I paid about $85 for mine and purchased it through bio-control network (can't advertise in here, so type in biconet.com)
    Sprayed yesterday and noticed a difference immidiately. It rained lightly today so it will be interesting to see how long it lasts. Don't get the stuff on you... will drive away even your wife!
    I'll keep you updated on how long and how well it works.

6. cenlo

cenlo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I wish! :)

7. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

Barefoot,

How did it do with the rain?

8. Catmann

Catmann LawnSite Member

Garlic Barrier and Mosquito barrier are the same product with different labels. For promotional reasons, Mosquito barrier is the better buy this year.

This "proprietary" garlic works well on mosquitos. How long it lasts depends on rainfall. It works best if you get it into plants rather than just spraying hardscapes or a home directly. Typical length of acceptable control is 3 weeks. Mixing rate is 1 gal per 100 gal of solution, spray to wet, not runoff.

MB = $58.18 /gal
    GB = $61.93 / gal

9. BareFootLawn

So far it's done well as long as the frequency remains low. Couple of inches in an hour will wash it away. Slow rain doesn't affect it too badly.
    I've had good results with initial application, repeat in 10-14 days, then 17-24 days after that.

10. Duramax99

Duramax99 LawnSite Member

You should try a product called "Eco Exempt" works just as well as garlic barrier and doesn't stink half as much