organic mole controll?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by 2 clowns mowing, Jun 7, 2008.

1. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

i've been using a granule substance with caster oil in it, but still having problems with moles. is there anything else out there that will drive them out without killing them?

2. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

here in florida, we have the mole cricket as they call it and it makes tunnels under the ground and when they get close to the surface, you can tell where the tunnels are from the soil being pushed up. i found out by doing research is they are looking for a food source which are grubs. i applied a grub control to the lawn, got rid of the food source, and it seemed to get rid of them. hope this helps. :dancing:

3. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

same as here but we can't use grub x the home owner can but we can't as a business

4. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

get rid of the grubs works best. We install a thing called The Sonic Molechaser at some of our properties with rock walls, it keeps away any underground rodents. The batteries need to be changed every 6 months, but they work great. Google it, we buy them from Gemplers by the case. It's not a big $ maker, but an up-sell, and it keeps damage down.

5. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

TTT.
    I too have been using the yellow packaged mole repellent with oil in it...mixed results. First lawn, moles pretty much gone after one app. and we found several dead moles even tho the product is not supposed to kill, just drive away. Second lawn, problem has not changed one bit as they are doing massive construction in the lot adjacent and all the moles are being driven onto this property.

Somebody on here has to have some good rememdies...??

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Technically, it may be, that you are not supposed to be applying even the organic stuff for hire either, if it is a control product. I'm not sure about Ohio...but that's how it is here in MI. Anyway, getting rid of the grubs is not the answer for ridding the moles. Grubs are not the main source of food for moles. Oh sure, they like them, as they are like a delicacy, but they are certainly not the main source of food.

7. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

so what is?

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Earthworms and insects...mainly earthworms. They consume more weight in earthworms than everything else put together.

9. F Y P M

F Y P M LawnSite Member

I've had decent results using chocolate Ex-Lax, drop it in the holes and they will eat it up and basically dehydrate themselves. It has to be chocolate though. Earthworms are there main food source as runner says.

10. Chris G

Chris G LawnSite Member

Runner is correct, they mostly eat earthworms so if you managed to rid the yard of all worms you might see some significant impact HOWEVER I would NEVER recommend doing that it would through the whole organic balance off and it would be a disaster, try some sort of sonic pest remover, they seem to work well