1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Organic Pesticide for Ticks?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by GeoPappas, Apr 21, 2006.

1. GeoPappas

GeoPappas LawnSite Member

Are there any organic products out there that will get rid of ticks from a lawn and natural area? I would like to get rid of the ticks, but not everything else.
  2. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Insecticides are bug killers by design. They will generally kill any insect they contact, if you get enough on them. Ticks are tough customers, requiring a strong shot of insecticide. There are safer products out there, like insecticidal soaps and oils. They have limited effect on ticks, but will still kill non-target insects. Go online and learn about the habits of ticks in your area. This will tell you when and where to spray to be most effective.
  3. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

from what I understand, Garlic Juice will kil and/or repel ticks from an area. google "mosquito barrier" and you can look on the company's website. There is info there on what it does to ticks and fleas as well as mosquitos.
  4. gsxr1100

gsxr1100 LawnSite Member
    from mobile

Cedarcraft is correct. I use Garlic pills for my 3 dogs and DE on my lawn..1 tick in 2 years!
  5. ryno23

ryno23 LawnSite Member

how many pills do you give each dog and how often, i have 3 labs, i was planning on getting some frontline tomorrow but might check into the garlic pills.
  6. gsxr1100

gsxr1100 LawnSite Member
    from mobile

We give 2 in the am and 2 in the pm. Our dogs (1 rottie and 2 pits; rescue dogs) We do not use frontline for various reasons.

Reasons are: putting chemicals on pet(s) we do not like, chemicals on skin; then rugs on carpets etc then my little ones (kids) play on the rugs etc. They (kids) also pet the dogs and then sick hands in mouth.

Not saying Frontline is 100% bad but those are some of the reasons why we do not use it. Plus Garlic is cheaper. We also use Tomato juice and Brewers Yeast to prevent urine stains in the grass. Also use Norwegian Kelp on them for health reason and other items for joints etc.

Oh, the DE (Diatomaceous Earth—FOOD grade) works great on the lawn and mulch beds. Kills ants, flies, ticks etc. That with garlic is almost 100% perfect!!!!

Sorry to ramble on here the wife did rescue for about 9 years with rottie and pits and she wants to save them all.
  7. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Used to use garlic as an insect repellant on lawns and it only accomplished one thing: Made the neighbors mad because of the smell. It did exactly zero to keep insects away. All lawns treated still had ticks, chinch bugs, bill bugs, etc. It is useless. And this is experience garnered on hundreds of accounts of all types and sizes.
  8. gsxr1100

gsxr1100 LawnSite Member
    from mobile

Garlic on the lawn????? how would you even do that?

I have not used "garlic for my lawn" as you stated but unless it is inside the dog, it will do zero for bugs.

if you do not want to use DE for some odd reason you can use other nautral methods to keep bugs out. DE is the best I have used for lawn and garlic in pill form (in food).
  9. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

Go to www.mosquitobarrier.com
    I use it here at home.
    Follow the instructions and you will be mosquito free and more tick free.
    I say more tick free because the garlic will repel ticks (very well!) but not kill those that are there now.

I mixed the garlic w/ hort soap, hort oil and tempo.
    OUTSTANDING results.
    In fact I offer it to customers now.

Tempo I realize may not be your thing but it is still a pyrethroid isnt it?
    Its main ingredient is a by product from ground up chrysanthimums?
  10. David Gabriel

David Gabriel LawnSite Member

A good product contains a blend of natural chrysanthemum extracts which have chemically insectidal properties, and diatomaceous earth, which is physically insecticidal - it supposedly nicks the tick forcing dehydration.

I can't remember the name of the blend but a tick control company using organic methods whould know about it.