Organic "pesticides"

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by KenH, Mar 12, 2003.

1. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Is there such a thing?? ie, organic herbicides, fungicides, insecticides which are effective. I know about BT for grubs, but what are some others??
  2. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Corn gluten for crabgrass control.
  3. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Anything for broadleaf??
  4. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Nothing that works selectively like a three-way. I have heard of vinegar, but it is not a selective and not labeled as a pesticide. I wouldn't use it personally, I think an ODA inspector would frown. :) ;) :) ED
  5. Not very effective if lot of weed pressure. Good dense turf best organic pesticide!!
    Now the best way to get their??
  6. SuperLawn

SuperLawn LawnSite Member

Corn gluten for broadleaf
  7. As was previously stated, corn gluten will control broadleafÂ’s but not after they are semi mature.

Corn gluten seems to work as a pre-emergent for grassy and broad leaf weeds. I have found considerable research on the various forms of corn gluten. Email me and I will attach some onto the reply mail.
  8. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

A good way to fight diseases is to use a natural organic fertilizer program.
    Broad leaf weeds can be kept down by doing aeration in the fall, cutting high, and collecting clippings.
    You can use Merit, nematodes, fungus, beneficials, and other things for insects.
  9. Organic-man

Organic-man LawnSite Member

Corn gluten can be used to control broadleaf weeds to around 33% the first year, 57% the second year, and 88% the third year, according to doccumented tests by Iowa state university. However, if you are looking for a quick weed solution, you won't find it yet in the organic market. Though there are solutions in the works right now that need to be tested. Betaine is another product like corn gluten with a better weed control capability, but availability is severely limited. Scientists are in the testing stages right now.
  10. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

Collecting clippings will only be effective as a weed control measure, during the time that weed seeds are maturing, and then only marginally effective. Actual studies have actually shown the there will be less weeds when the clippings are left on. Leaving the clippings works pretty much the same way that cutting high does. Limiting the amount of light that reaches the soil inhibits the amount of weed seed germination. Just as putting grass clippings in the vegetable garden acts as a mulch to keep weeds out, it also acts as a mulch to suppress weeds in the lawn.

Austreim Landscaping