Organic post application for bermuda.... Anyone? HELP!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Az Gardener, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I need an organic (or at least not round up) product to kill existing stands of common Bermuda. I have checked Green Guardian's products but they don't work in extreme heat. Any other suggestions?

Client has concerns about toxicity to pets. I have explained round up is safe but she has associated another pets death with round up use. No changing her mind. So whatdayagot.
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I think you could use Vinegar? They sell a high concentrate at some Home Depots.
  3. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing "organic" will work, even round-up seldom eliminates burmuda. Its a shame your customer won't atleast let you try round-up, maybe you should mention its 4 times less toxic than asprin.
  4. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Cover it with black plastic for a while.
  5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Black plastic is good. But maybe Gasoline? Boiling water? Propane torch? Flame thrower? I wouldn't worry about heat restrictions on your organic products. you can always treat early in the morning--right?
    But lets be clear--did you mean to just kill the Bermuda to bare ground--or --did you mean to selectively take it out of fescue or bluegrass?
    If she doesn't like Roundup--how about Finale? Lesco Prosecutor? (Same as Roundup). How about paraquat or diquat? How about one of the organic toxic soaps "Scythe" .
    Ortho liquid fence edger (maybe cacadylic acid). For bare ground Ortho Triox. Or Lesco Sahara? Lots of homeowners think Ortho products are safe. After all you can buy them anywhere.
  6. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

You might also try another shot of logic with the customer regarding Glyphosate usage. The chemistry and mode of action of Glyphosate is engineered for plant biology alone. A specific enzyme needed by plants is interrupted leading to a cascade of problems for the plant(s) leading to it's ultimate death. Living, breathing, creatures are totally different and are independant of this enzyme and simply cannot by the laws of nature be effected by this product. Your customer may need to understand that Glyphosate is not only the world's most widely used herbicide it also the most researched. A little more science and a little less "Oprah" might be in order.