Organic? Really?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by ChuckNC, Apr 6, 2011.

1. OrganicsMaine

OrganicsMaine LawnSite Senior Member

Care to expand on the results you saw, and a macro look at how you achieved them?

2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We received a customer renewal form this week. We previously treated his lawn 5 times per year (for the past 2 years) with XCU ferts . But this year, he only wants 3 apps (late spring, early fall, and late fall). His note at the bottom of the form: "Lawn has become too thick to mow. Need to cut back on applications" >> I thought that was funny/unusual. :laugh:

Regarding Scotts: When it was "O.M. Scotts & Sons", they tried to steer customers away from natural organic fertilizer. But after they "reorganized", they openly recommend natural organic fertilizer. Kinda makes me wonder about Scotts (trust issue). I'm guessing they bought some of Barry's products and copied them. :confused:

my personal experience/2 cents worth

3. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Proper moisture levels (for your lead in)

But perhaps more importantly... do not use compost as a fertilizer if you want to encourage AM infection...

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

So there seems to be a consensus that, just not having too much water will benefit beneficial microbials, in general...
    AM fungi in particular, do not appreciate P applications or tilling, as I recall. So does aeration cause a setback for the AMF that is already in the root system?
    What is it about compost that would deter AMF but be helpful to most other benes?

6. JDUtah

from UT

You answered your own question

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

WOW JD .... then your comment was a whole new level of uninformed. :hammerhead:

8. JDUtah

from UT

Kiril,

I actually found your links interesting and enlightening. I am sure others on this forum think the same as they do suggest a change in the mindset about P and AMF.

However...
    If you really do want people to hear your voice and change, perhaps you should practice some tact and consideration in the way you "inform" people. I don't know, but to me it seems if you wouldn't be so condescending and dogmatic you may eventually be liked more than resisted/resented here on this forum.

Hey, you may even lay down for the night smiling for once. :drinkup:

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

JD,

Perhaps if you had corrected yourself after reading the links .... but then, everyone who knows you on this forum is well aware of the reason for that post.

FYI, I don't really care if I am liked and you can keep your patronizing attitude to yourself.

10. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

P is everywhere and in just about everything organic... Grass clippings left on the lawn would hve about the same P as compost... If 1-2% P in anything is going to diminish the AMF, then again...

"What can be done to increase the population, health and vigor of AM Fungi?"