Organic Starter Fert..

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by srm077, Aug 22, 2008.

1. srm077

srm077 LawnSite Member

Any ideas on a organic starter fert...? This is the only weakness in my soon to be tested program.

Thanks in advance.

2. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

I have an organic based starter fert; Nutrients PLUS Super 8, 5-8-5, 50% SRN with 2% Ca, 3% S, 15 Fe, 50% OM
    40 lb bag covers 5,000 to 10,000sq ft
    Shipped direct, pallet sales only.

or ICT Organics HydroSeed liquid seed inoculant.

3. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

the best starter fert in my book is worm casts...............

weren't we supposed to fix the soil first. any ways, start the AM off early and they will do good. Barry whats the minimum on casts?? one ton???

4. srm077

srm077 LawnSite Member

Thanks Barry- sound like a great product, a pallet is a bit much for a small timer like me though. Do you have any dealers that sell and ship smaller amounts of your products?

5. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I got a pallet last week and have already used more than half so far. That is only one treatment about 50 customers. It goes by a lot faster than you think.

Next year when I get 300+ I may just get a truck load... a good problem to have?

What makes for a good "winterizer"/ what do you do to prep for the winter with organics? UP... new thread... sorry...

6. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Worm castings rock!! There is nothing like it for promoting plant health care.

We ship by the pallet, bagged or bulk.

7. treegal1

cool I will pass your info along, some one in Maine ask me about shipping some, I told em I can save em some shipping........

8. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

at what rate do you apply worm casts? For a start fert type deal such as when over seeding.

9. treegal1

deep thats a good question, we use a whole sh*t load per piece, or around a heap in a yard. lolol I have never thought about that??? maybe the same a fert??? 200lbs per K, make something up that sounds good and try that!!!!!

10. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

I have a calculator on my site... get the nutrinet results for the vermicompost and play with the calculator... Look up starter fert recomendations and play with the application numbers on the calc till you get them to match recomendations... that would be your application rate.. That's what I would do anyway.