organic vs. non organic fertilizer

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by grassmasterswilson, Sep 18, 2012.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Wondering your thoughts on organic fert? I know the cost is a little higher than traditional ferts, but how are the results? Thinking about incorporating some organic apps into my program. We usually go with 1 lb N on fescue and bermuda and .25-.5 lb N on centipede.

2. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Tell you what I use Milorganite on select lawns - those that are infected with NRS plus my own lawn. I get GREAT results with the product. Nice deep green, long lasting. Makes for a good late fall app as you see the spring green up quickly.

Only the cost per K keeps me from using it on everyone's lawn.

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

The biggest advantage is really the benefits to soil structure along with the corresponding CE sites that are derived from organic material... soils with plenty of OM and an active healthy microbe community is going to produce more benefits than NPK alone... even though the label will only reflect its own NPK measurements...
    The Whole, is greater than the Sum of its Parts...

4. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

The best of both; Screamin Green 16-2-3.
    Composted poultry manure and biosolids fortified with some urea, SCU and Ammonium Sulfate. Competitively priced with synthetic fertilizers.

5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Barry - do you have a MN no-phos version of Screamin?

6. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

BEST OF BOTH WORLDS I agree 100%.

I am a well know Organic hater, But not because Organic Fertilizers are bad. It is the Organic Only attitude of Tree Hugging Granola Nuts that makes me bad mouth Organic Fert. I even use some Organic Pesticides.

Understanding What Organics can do and can not do is the question here. Then supplement with Synthetics. But whether you have sandy soil or heavy clay, organic fertilizer should add SOM to your soil. SOM or Soil organic matter helps the Physical aspect of the soil profile. In the case of sandy soil it adds water & chemical Holding power. In clay soil is help prevent run off and compaction. If you are pulling Hollow core and not Top Dressing with Organic fertilizer you are really missing the the whole point of aeration.

8. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I hear and understand what you're saying about cost / K.
    But can you honestly look into your clients' eyes each and every day and claim that Milorganite is an "organic product"? Can you do this without having your nose suddenly and inexplicably expand in the forward direction?

9. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Why is Milorganite not an organic biosolid??? The added Fe???

10. turfmd101

turfmd101 LawnSite Bronze Member

Milorginite = Biosolids = Organic. Yes?
    Posted via Mobile Device