organic weed control

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cmcintosh, Dec 10, 2007.

1. cmcintosh

cmcintosh LawnSite Member

Have any of you seen the new product coming out of McGill University in Canada for Organic Weed Contol. called Sarrotor. Undergoing testing now. has anybody seen it work?

2. n3xus2

n3xus2 LawnSite Member

Yeah we did some testing of it in the fall... Just curious how you came to find out about this product..?

3. cmcintosh

cmcintosh LawnSite Member

Actually through a day or so of searching based on one little sentence in a brochure then some time on the PMRA website and a call to them... it's not listed anywhere I had to explain where it was being researched. PMRA is just labelling and registering it now but it isn't listed yet. Just luck the lady on the phone knew what I was looking for. Finally got the website. As a biologist/landscaper I've been watching for this type of stuff. Corn Gluten and Beet Juice don't seem that great. So did you work on some of the research?

4. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You guys have any more info. on this? What's it made from?

5. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

One of the issues with corn gluten in organic lawn care is it has so much N in it. There are trials going on with a soluble corn gluten with the N taken out.

I had always thought that corn gluten worked (well it depends on your definition of works) by using the N to literally grow the weed seed to death.