Organic weedkillers..flower beds

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by minx, Jun 29, 2014.

1. minx

minx LawnSite Member

I a wanting to implement an organic weed control at the request of a few home owners.. Any help appreciated.. I am located in mid Florida region.. Thanks

2. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

Good luck. I haven't come across any that work as well as traditional methods. I think I could do it better by installing drip to each plant and keep the soil surface on the dry side.

3. Victorsaur

Victorsaur LawnSite Member

What kinds of weeds? selective or non selective?

4. GravelyWalker

GravelyWalker LawnSite Member

I am will be trying this next year. Besides pulling one in or touching plants .I will attempt a propane torch to kill the root. I have been doing it at home for a while and it seems to work great.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. PenningsLandscaping

PenningsLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Vinegar
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with Vinegar.

7. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Organic weed control in flower beds begins with mulching and hand pulling. Applications of liquid corn gluten will reduce germination of all seeds.
    There are some selective and nonselective post-emergents used by organic gardeners to some extent, but you must be very careful when applying them in flower beds.

If you do the first three, you should not need a post-emergent.

8. Keegan

Keegan LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

IMHO Avenger works better than anything. It's organic, smells good, but it's non selective

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Consider the "black plastic/solarization method". I just invented it--mentally speaking. You cover the weeds with black plastic circles retained with small plastic stakes. No light--no photosynthesis--black plastic results in high temps, (and dry soil), which kills the weeds.
    Naturally my idea would use thin rigid plastic. 100 in a box. It would be colored to look like shredded bark. The tie-down stakes would look like small flowers. Almost invisible from a distance. Perforated to tear easily in case you needed to put a circle around the stem of a shrub. Remove after 4 weeks.

10. minx

minx LawnSite Member

Does commercially using corn gluten or avenger require any spray licence