Organics, All or Nothing?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by aclane2000, Jan 13, 2011.

1. quackgrass

quackgrass LawnSite Senior Member

No it doesn't suggest that at all. Optimum means most favorable. It could mean using no inputs.

That level changes from month to month or season to season, which is my whole point. I can better match that level if I have both sources . I love it when rain and lightning show up to replace my synthetic applications, but sometimes they don't.

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Your entire post was about meeting the nutrient demand curve of plants as it varies through the season. Not only is that is exactly what you were suggesting ("optimum growth" .... your words not mine) but clearly stated. Maybe you should go back and read your post ... specifically the sections about nutrient demand curves and how to meet them.

Case in point. Now you are talking about meeting nutrient demand .... i.e. no limiting nutrients.

3. quackgrass

I said give the plant 1/2 of its demand organically and 1/4 of it synthetic. Adding 1/2 to 1/4 is 3/4 or 75% - of its demand.

So 75% of demand isn't limiting?

If you have to twist words that hard, its because you have no point.

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

No one is twisting words quack ... that is what you wrote ... meeting the nutrient demand of the plant for optimum growth. For turf .... that would be equivalent to a NTEP rating of 9. IMO, there is absolutely no need to maintain turf at that level for resi/comm sites.

Furthermore, if the soil and environment are already capable of providing 70% (for example) of the plants nutritional needs, why are you applying 75% of the plants needs when you only would need 30% to completely meet the nutritional demand of the plant? Beyond that .... what nutrients make up that 30%? Do you custom mix synthetics per site per plant?

5. quackgrass

If you can't debate my points without trying to sever and twist the possible definitions of each word, it means you have lost.

6. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

I have no way of knowing whether someone knows how they are using the word but ........

Optimum comes from the Latin optimum (singular - optimus) meaning "best."
    The word was first used in English in the late 1800's in biology referring to "conditions most favorable" (for growth, etc.)

7. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

YIKES! disecting, I would rather do it on a frog in science class
    what happened to sharing, a little off track me thinks

8. quackgrass

Semantics..... for those with no point but a strong desire to argue.

I wonder what the meaning of Kiril is? oh wait, I just found it:
    Kiril \k(i)-ril\ as a boy's name of Greek origin, and the meaning of Kiril is "the Lord".

That explains the ego problem, no doubt.

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Yes .... i.e. no limitations ... and per the usual degradation of replies from quack, he finally understands the problems with his post.

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Once again ... no one is twisting anything here quack .... and if you were to take a honest look at your post and how it was presented, you would see the numerous problems with it.