Organics in turf/beds

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by David Gretzmier, Apr 28, 2001.

1. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

What organic products do you guys add to the normal turf and bed progarams? we use a generic millorganite because it is cheap and works, but I am looking to expand my horizons a bit. I'd like any advice out there on organically improving soil in turf and beds, and thereby making my conventional fertilizer program work better and actually decrease chemical fertilizer use. Any liquid or grannualar favorites out there? what are the benefits and what do they cost per acre or per 1000 square? Dave

2. powerreel

powerreel Banned

3. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

David,
    You would be hard pressed to find an organic that is better than Milorganite. It is after all the single organic the nature made to fertilze grass and plant. You just can't beat POOP. I use in excess of 100 tons of it a year. It is the best thing you can do for outdoor plants. Sure it stinks when it goes down and it is bulky, but it really works. Our business has been using this product for over 50 years, more than 40 at the 50+ ton a year level. It is a great product.

4. smithsonmi

smithsonmi LawnSite Member

There has to be something better than a product like Milorganite with almost 0% Potash (K).

5. powerreel

powerreel Banned

Every region is different. Here in the Northwest our soils lack K. I do use some milorganite but for my July 4 ap. Our soils are lacking in K and available N and are acid. Mil has it's place and for summer peak- you bet ya. I still say organic humic liquida for spring and fall. That roots link offers some real nice stuff and some are very cost effective,Grow roots not leaf, that's the secret to a nice lawn or any plantings.

6. smithsonmi

smithsonmi LawnSite Member

I agree with the grow the roots not the leaves mentality but then why not use an equal N-P-K ratio? Everyone seems to recommend 2-4 times more Nitrogen than the others.

Is it because the average consumer just wants his grass green regardless?

7. powerreel

powerreel Banned

Some lawns I will run on about 6 lbs. of N each year. Some will run on 2 it depends on what you want to do.

8. dylan

dylan Member
    from Ontario

compost for:
    soil structure
    water holding capacity
    soil porosity
    CEC
    humus levels
    steady, low release of nutrients
    supplies many micronutients
    increased micro-organism activity