1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by wendicp, Aug 29, 2007.

1. wendicp

wendicp LawnSite Member

I am having trouble keeping everything organized!!! I need some advice. I just purchased gopher for scheduling and I use quickbooks for payroll and invoicing. I am thinking about getting my husband and I a blackberry or a palm pilot for the crew leaders so we don't have such a large paper trail with schedules for the day, hours worked, etc. Have any of you used gophers palm pilot program? I am also trying to figure out a way to keep all of our lawn trailers and trucks organized as far as which weedeaters, blowers, rakes, chemicals, etc. are on each trailer. I was thinking about numbering each piece of equipment and have an equipment list so when something is lost or broke we know who is responsible for it. Also, do you make your crew leaders responsible for everything on the trailers? I was going to write up an aggreement for my crew leaders to sign that holds them responsible for lost equipment-deducting money from their paycheck if something is lost. Thanks for the help!!!::
  2. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Blackberrys? Palm Pilots?

Seems overkill and waste of money to me...

My list is printed out on a MS Word program, put on a clipboard and set in my truck.

Numbering the equipment is a good idea.

As far as getting people to sign something. Good luck...
  3. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Check your labor laws for your state, in many states actually maybe all of them you can not garnish wages for any reason. The owner of the equipment is responsible for the equipment. you can fire them for miss use or abuse of equipment but stealing their wages I mean withholding wages is a sure way to get audited or fined by your states labor board and the burden of proof is always on the employer. Permanently mark all your equipment and note what truck and crew it is with. Palm pilots black berrys and the like is a waist of money and unnecessary overhead. Print job lists to hand to the crew leaders crew leaders are for leading and working not playing with toys that they really don't need. be careful and constantly aware of expenses and overhead they can trash your bottom line in a heartbeat. I am in MA. so I am aware of my states labor law your state may be different. I have done this a long time and sometimes I feel disorganized welcome to the club
  4. Turfbarber

Turfbarber LawnSite Member

Definately not legal to garnish for lost or damaged items in Michigan. Even if it were, what if a crew member and not the leader did the damaging or the losing of the item? The member is the responsibility of the leader sure, but the leader and member are both your responsibility. Accidents will happen in any business, just make sure you're insured for the big ones and write off the little ones. Definately do not take unnecessary expenses if at all possible. When I was running 5 crews, I just gave the route sheets to the crew leaders daily. Make sure the sheets have enough space for the leader to write in notes. Make sure your crew leaders are the best writers, speakers and managers instead of the best cutters and your organization will go up. Look for ways to empower your leaders instead of looking for ways to punish them will help your opration immensely.
  5. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

That's refreshingly good advice.