Organizational Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mtdman, Jan 26, 2004.

1. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I've got a question for those of you who do more than just regular mowing. Looking around at various member websites, and listening to the various services offered, I am wondering how you all schedule the services along with mowing. This is mostly a question for those that do mowing plus other stuff.

Let me explain.

I have always taken as much regular lawn mowing work as I could do. If I had 3 days I could work, I'd book those three days up. I got into the business doing mowing, so I always filled my schedule with mowing. Last season, I had about 5 full days (more like 6) filled with mowing. That leaves me with very little time for extra services. But it has always been the regular work I've been after, the weekly scheduled mowing.

I notice that a lot of you offer one time services though. How do you schedule these things? Do you only schedule mowing for a few days a week and leave a couple days open for the one time stuff? Is it more profitable to do it that way? Do you run one crew to do the mowings and have another crew to do the one time stuff?

As I said, it's always been my strategy to fill up my time doing regular work. Another local LCO I am friends with takes more one time work from people and does less regular work. I was solo last year, and when I had a partner we always worked together. If I decide to hire a helper or 2, I am hoping it will free up my time so I can do more of the extras and one time things. Just kinda wondering how everyone schedules these things, works them in.

Thanks!

:D

2. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

I try to do all the mowing early in the week. Mon thru Wed. and do all special projects on Thursday and Friday and Saturday if necessary. I works better for me this way because most other work requires completely different tools. Almost always use the dump trailer for these jobs whether it's mulching, lawn maintenance, tree or shrub trimming, leaf removal etc...
    I don't like having to come back to the shop for more tools or to switch trailers in the middle of the day.

3. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

This is what I do. Run lawns crews 4 days Mon - Thurs. They work longer days, but get a 3 day weekend. This also leaves Friday open for either a rain day catch up or extra services. Thsi also helps during cleans ups since they take a bit longer. Try to never work on weekends if possible. If you are cutting 6 days a week, it doesn't leave you much time for anything else.

4. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

I cut on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. So that leaves Monday Tuesday for all the other bs.

5. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Mtdman I love cutting lawns but I can see the writing on the wall and know that in less then 5 years ill probably never cut another. This year I ran my crew and cut lawns Thursday though Saturday and that left me with the first 3 days of the week to run other projects. The year coming up I will be changing that dramatically I will still be cutting 3 days a week with my own crew probably wens-fri I am adding a foreman I knew for the last 13 years and he will be running a crew cutting 5 days a week that’s all he will do he hates everything else. Then my partner Lou will be cutting with a small 2 man crew wen-fri as well he will do fert and spray the rest of the week and do his usually billing as well and if he’s free then he can join me on the larger jobs.

What I see happening is as I grow and add lawn crews my job will slowly become just estimates and large jobs no time for what I love but the alternative is have my body fall apart and have no income at all when I'm 45 so that isn’t to appealing to me and I will not try that idea. The one thing I find with the bigger jobs is know one in your company is as good or efficient as you’re self. So you get roped into doing them or you wont make what you should not any one can cut grass quickly and properly but a hell of a lot more people can do that then can run a install with 3-8 guys on the job site and make it work. Some day id like to have help in that area but I know enough to know that will be a long wait.

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

If i have a special job i try to do it on a monday, then i mow tues - friday and use sat for a make up day if i get rained out, and i dont schedule too much for friday and use part of it for a make up day, i am a solo worker, with a little help from my dad.

7. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Hmmm. This is all very interesting. I've always just looked at it as if I've got 5 days to work, I'm going to schedule for those 5 days. I haven't really had much of a reliable demand for the one time projects, and always saw it as a waste of time and money to have that time sitting open. Also, it means I don't have to always advertise for those services and run around doing estimates all year. I've never really tried for more of the one time type of services throughout the season. But when I do get a request for edging, bush trimming, seeding, aeration, etc, it's kind of a crunch to fit it in around all the mowing. And as I am trying to move to offer more of a diverse array of services, I know I will have to have the time to do them. I really had a crunch problem in the fall trying to get all my aerations in with my mowing schedule.

I'm hoping that adding employees will free up my time so I can do more of the specialized stuff.

:D

8. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Mtdman some of the extra pays less then the mowing but some pays a lot more like brush removal I love this stuff as I clear 1500-2000 for a days work with 2-3 guys helping me so what is that 200-300 in labor. On a job that’s all labor no materials just dump fee and best of all your a hero to the customer when you finish the look of the place is night and day. If all I did were that I would have a 5000 a week job take home after expenses.