Orgs that only care about production throughput.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by krnldmp, May 2, 2008.

1. krnldmp

krnldmp LawnSite Member

I'm new to the site and my interests are varied but generally not concerned with commercial lawn mowing, however, I have some observations I'd like to discuss.

I know that many of the people on this site run or work with a company that takes a close look at every aspect the business, but I know from the half dozen or so that I can see working in my moderately wealthy area that at all levels of quality, you still get organizations that are strictly in it for the bucks, and when you're in the lawn mowing business, the bottom line is how many lawns you can mow in a day.

I'm hardly against people making a buck, but there's a problem. Lots of these guys run their V twin ZTR machine engines at max governed speed so they can fly across the yards they're working and get back on the truck as fast as possible. Whether or not they care about the resultant unmodified blade tip speed, which is generally excessive by a wide margin, the noise coming out from under the mower deck is so tremendous it completely drowns out the usually modest stock exhaust mufflers run on these rigs. In some cases the only way to distinguish the mower blade noise from an extremely loud string trimmer or leaf blower is that it is continous for as long as the org is at the site. The string trimmers normally start at the end of the visit. One way to tell the org is Seriously bone headed is if they hold the string trimmers wide open for as long as they run too.

I know there are other related concerns. A higher speed blade clears the deck faster and more completely and is usually able to handle wet grass (excessively tall is not normally a problem) better. One could argue that higher blade speed to a point gives a finer cut, but most of these speedsters fly across the yard so fast you can see the tires bouncing. Floating deck or not, you know the cut doesn't figure. These guys are burning major fuel and never sharpen a blade. It's really a shame the customers keep the contracts because their lawns look silly and every time they get it mowed it sounds like raised hell.

Alright. Tell me where I'm wrong.

2. Wow.......

3. KingMoneyNYC

KingMoneyNYC LawnSite Member

I was told yesterday on this site that the only way to make money in lawn care is in volume, it seems correct.

4. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

Do you hire a lawn care company to care for your property? If you do you should talk to them about their poor quality. If you are seeing this on other people's yards then don't let it bother you and mind your own business.

Sounds to me like you would like to see lawn care companies run small push mowers or even better how about electric equipment.

You have some nerve to pop on this site and question the way some run there business.

Are you the guy that stands outside of local business and tells people not to shop their because you are not happy with the service that YOU received?

Worry about issues that you have control over!

5. krnldmp

krnldmp LawnSite Member

gandk06, interesting point of view. Electric motors can not control blade noise and would not necessarily control speed. An internal combustion engine can be made practically silent. There is no reason to push a mower for general commercial mowing. There's nothing wrong with power if it is used properly. Unless you are guilty as described in my original post, there's no reason to be offended.

6. ExcaliburLawnCare

ExcaliburLawnCare LawnSite Member
    from MI

Either they are a bunch of slack jawed yokels who were laid off from the big three, drawing unemployment and for full-time "cutting grass on the side," or a bunch of young guys who only care about how fast they can go before the engine explodes. Either way, if you're in it for the long haul, you take care of your equipment and your customers' lawns.

7. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not offended. I will cut as fast as I can and STILL maintain high quality. Once quality goes down I slow down. Speed is money in any trade not just lawn care.

8. KingMoneyNYC

not everyone uses ztrs. Where I am the majority of work is done by walk behind 21' mowers. Yards are on average 2500 sq ft.

9. Frontstreetlawns

Frontstreetlawns LawnSite Member

if your talking string trimmers you are totally in the wrong. String trimmers are designed to be run full throttle. if you dont you are then going to cause more maint on it bc the valves get plug, do your research before you come her and piont fingers

10. KingMoneyNYC

is that true? why does redmax have trigger to control throttle?