Originals

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Jun 11, 2004.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

How many original customers do you have from when you first started in business? This is our 6th year. We have 11 original customers left. We currently have 97 accounts we maintain weekly.
    What original equipment do you still take with you on your route everyday and use at least occasionally? For us the only thing left from when we started is two pieces of Stihl equipment. A fs85 trimmer and a handheld blower. That's it.

2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

From 16 years ago, when I first started, I still have my first account that I ever received a phone call on. Charged him $10 / hour and it used to take me 5-6 hours. Now with the equipment I've got it takes about 45 minutes and I get $50 / week.

As for equipment, all that was wore out YEARS ago.

3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Still have my very first customer. Who also happens to be my best. Had them 3.5 years. The guy I sold my last business I had in MA still had 10 out 15 customers I used to do. Still have my ECHO PB400E blower, 21" snapper mower, Still have my 32" metro I bought at the end of my first year of my 1st business. Most of the rest has been replaced.

4. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a few been with me thru college ('93-'97) and at least 20 I've had since '97 when I "officially" started. Do 76 a week now. MOst turnover due to death and moving. Still have echo handhelds I never use, tools, but mowers are all new/newer.

5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

jumper cables thats it.

6. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

From the first year(1998) we were licensed and such and started doing commercial work, we still are doing the first major account that was over $20,000 per year. As far as equipment from then it has all been upgraded. Although I still have a MTD WB that I keep at home for my lawn and we have a MTD Z rider that we have converted to a applications machine.