Ornamental Beds, herbicides

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by edger, Oct 4, 2004.

1. edger

edger LawnSite Member
    from NC

What would be the best herbicide to you in these areas? I know what to use in the turf areas but not real sure as to what to use in the bed areas. There are a mixture of trees and shrubs in these beds. Anywhere from Azaleas to Dogwoods and large pines. Yes I have my applicator license. :help:

2. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know if it is the same in NC but here in OH you have to have an Ornamental Weed Control license to spray the weeds in beds. The Turf Pest Control license does not include that.

I use Round Up Pro for most of my post-emergent apps. and snapshot for my pre-emergent applications in mulched areas.

3. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

You can used PREEN or Snapshot (lesco has it).
  4. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

are a few
  5. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Same here in IN .....I actually passed my ornamental exam today and it was much more difficult than the turf for some reason...
  6. toxic man

toxic man LawnSite Member

Hey Bill,

What Combination of Pre-em do you like to use in the planter beds? Something that covers a broad spectrum?

7. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Gallery and one of the others .
    The lable will tell you what you can use it on.
    If it's not on the lable doesn't mean it's not OK.
    Test an area to make sure it's gonna be OK
  8. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Hey Turf guys, this is a great add on service for your program. Up till this year I only sold, lime, aer, slice seeding as my add ons.

This season I offered pre emergent bed control, post control
    crabgrass ( acclaim ) treatment and the much disscused mosquito program. With these 3 items I took my customer avg. from 420's to 545 per year. And all sold from winter renewals to inserts with treatments, hardly any costs at all. I do 95% res.

Next year we are adding post control treatments to beds and adding a tick program to the mosquito program.
  9. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Edger didn't say whether this was a pre or post situation.

Your responses thus far were targeted toward weed prevention, but it sounds as if there are currently weeds in the beds.

Off the top of my head...Fusilade and Image are possible as over the top applications on bermuda grass or grassy weeds respectively. Depends on what you have. In all cases the most important thing is to read the label.