1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ornimentle tree

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by chefdrp, Jul 22, 2003.

1. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a prop that has a small spiral pine that is very damaged on the bottom one side. ( i think do to salt) It is near a road that is salted in the winter. Anyway how can i save this poor bush after i transplant it? Thanx
  2. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

One great way to save it is waiting for fall to move it.

And, you said Pine - is it possible it's an Alberta Spruce (common spiral bush)?

If so, those have a very coarse root system and generally are hard to get a good ball on. A very good one to wait on until cool season hits.
  3. chefdrp

ok. Thanx very much. And i dont know exactly what kind it is. Very small and very small needles. Bush is ony like 2 feet
  4. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Can you get a pic???? Fall is good advice, also use transplant fert,. such as roots, etc.
  5. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Alberta Spruce's also have a problem with Spider Mite.

Once those plants have damage and are stressed, they seldom recover. What ever damage there is will result in a empty area of the shrub. Not a good thing with a spiral specimen.

Inform your customer of that fact and remove and give them a price to replace with a Juniper Spiral :)
  6. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, Alberta Spruce has tiny, sort of sharp, needles.

Its usually very dense and twiggy.

I call them "elf" bushes.

If it really is only 2' tall, you may be able to pull off a summer transplant if you take its ball and a little extra soil mass.

About 3 shovel fulls will let you know if the soil ball will dissintegrate. If it starts breaking, backfill and wait if you can.
  7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

glan man is right. take a white piece of paper, hold it under the spruce, and shake the plant, look real close, see if tiny little insects are crawling around. once damaged they usually dont recover. can it and sell her something else
  8. chefdrp

you guys are great thanx