Ortho Application

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by KTNC, Apr 26, 2004.

1. KTNC

KTNC LawnSite Member

I am a home owner w/ 3 acres of lawn (bluegrass/fescue), and clay soil... I live in northern NY where the temps are still 40-50s, and I usually start mowing the first week of May.

I've never used fertilizers or weed killers in 7 yrs. However, last year I applied Scott's Winterizer fertilizer in September. And this spring I want to apply Ortho Weed B Gone to control the dandelions and clover problem I have.

My question - When do I apply the Ortho, the instructions say to apply when weeds are young and actively growing... The dandelions usually blossom in late May/early June, but I assume I should apply before then..?

Also w/the spring rains and warmer temps in May, the grass is usually growing out of control, and for this reason I have been hesitant to fertilize in the spring, should I? And if so, what type of fertilizer?

Thanks...

2. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

There's been a lot of concern lately over dandelions. I think that it would be safe to assume that the dandelions are actively growing at this time, and you may want to try to get them under control before they do go to seed. It's interesting however that some studies show that the best time to knock out dandelions is in the fall. This is because the weeds are storing up food and energy into their root system, and at this point chemicals tend to have a better knock out punch by being transmitted into root zones.

I hear ya' about the grass growing out of control in the spring, but if you stay away from the quick release form of nitrogen you should be okay. Many fertilizers have a combination of slow and quick release nitrogen types in them. Find one with a small percentage of quick release, but ample slow release. Also check for iron and sulfur content.

3. KTNC

KTNC LawnSite Member

Thanks Critical Care...

Any recommendations on which fertilizer? Would 10-10-10 be good due to it's reasonably low nitrogen content?

Also should I fertilize before or after the Ortho treatment?

Thanks...