Osage Orange 'Wichita'

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JTHutch, Mar 2, 2005.

1. JTHutch

JTHutch LawnSite Member

I'm bidding on a commercial landscape project that calls for 11 maclura pomifera - 'Wichita' aka Osage Orange. I'm looking for a wholesaler that carries them. I talked to my wholesaler they say they don't carry them. The designer of the project says they do. I personally don't want to plant this tree as they are not good ornamental trees and have to business being in a downtown city scape. But I still would like to locate them if I have to use them. Thanks for you help...
  2. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

I'll let you dig some up for free, but their the thorny cultivar of osage orange. Can't cut them down fast enough. lol Make great livestock fences if you have them on a fence row!
  3. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Try your nearest John Deere Landscapes store. If you live in Maine, and need a palm tree, they can probably get you one......

Other than that, press your normal supplier to find them for you. If they want your business bad enough, they will. Especially when it's 11 trees. If it was one or two, I could see them not wanting to spend time on it, but 11 is a different story.