Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 6'7 330, Apr 23, 2006.

1. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

How many of you know anything about OSHA regulations? If OSHA did an out of the blue inspection at your company, would you half way be compliant? Do you know any of the OSHA rules and regulations?
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

where can you find out what the regs. are? ide like to read up on it, thanks bill

3. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

i would think the department of labor. where ever you get all your no discriminaton signs and minimum wage signs from...sure there is www on it.
  4. mr mow

p.s. im an electrician and i deal with osha on a monthly basis, im sure i only know maybe 5% but whats the Q
  5. mr mow

my day job!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sometimes, when its not slow, which feels like most of the time. that boys and girls is why i want to mowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! sorry the finger got away from me
  6. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

I posted this same question about a month ago and got no response. Not sure if people just don't know or don't care. I am under the don't know side and am doing the research on it. I called the local osha site and apparently there are things that are needed and they help you get "legal" for lack of a better term. I didn't have much time when I talked with them so I never really finished the conversation. I will do a little more research and try to pass it on when I get the time, if you guys do the same I would appreciate it as well. Jeff
  7. ccgardengal

ccgardengal LawnSite Member

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yes i do. i also know, that it's another state sham
  9. maintenanceguy

maintenanceguy LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I'm a maintenance supervisor for a pretty large organization. We're government so we deal with PEOSHA (in NJ), not OSHA. But the regulations are the same, just the agency that handles it is different.

Big industries hire full time "industrial hygenists" with masters degrees or PhD's for bug bucks just to keep the company compliant with all the OSHA regulations. Frankly, there is not way to be 100% compliant. But show good faith. Make sure your machinery is guarded as desinged by the manufacturer, make sure your mowers and tractors have ROPS, goggles or safety glasses for everyone.

Still you will not be compliant on everything.
    Do you do yearly blood born pathogen training for your staff?
    Do you have fire extinguishers with documented monthly inspections and annual inspections by a certified inspector?
    Are all chemical containers labeled with CAS#s?
    Do you have MSDS sheets for all chemicals (motor oil, gasoline, WD40) at each work site?
    Are your wheel chocks compliant with the ever changing requirements?
    Do you have eye wash stations available (the spray bottles are no longer allowed)?
    Are you completing your OSHA logs and reports every month?
    If you use dust masks or respirators, have you done a qualitative fit test for exposures under 10x OSHA's Permisable exposure limits or a quantitative test for exposures over 10x OSHA's PELS?

Probably not. And this list is off the top of my head. There are thousands of other more obsure requirements that I'm sure I've never even heard of.

Bottom line, is if you were to be 100% compliant, that's all you'd have time to do. Just hope they never stop to see you. They rarely do. They mostly concentrate on big industry.
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Bottom line is I wouldn't worry so much about the time as compared to the expense required. I'd probably have to fold up my tent and do something else for a living. :walking: