Osha

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clay144, Nov 24, 2003.

1. clay144

clay144 LawnSite Member

Hello All,

Wondering what the OSHA requirements are regarding the Green Industry? Is there any specific place listing our practice and what needs to be complied with?

Also, has anybody been approached by the OSHA folks regarding violations, if so how was it dealt with?

Many thanks,

Clay

2. racerdave

racerdave LawnSite Senior Member

osha.gov

go look around their site its not to bad,

David

3. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Is OSHA the reason Exmark and Toro Zs have roll bars now?

4. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Here is a quote from this post that may help.

"Keep in mind that nothing about OSHA is simple, and some of the rules are plain ridiculous. First of all, you really need to determine if a hazard exists above a certain exposure level. For noise, I believe the "permissible level" is 85 dba over an 8 hour day. If the noise level is only 75 dba, you're not required to do anything.

And technically, if the dust creates a hazard, you need to be wearing a respirator, not just a dust mask. And before an employee can wear a respirator, they need to be certified as able to wear one by a physician and fit tested for that model.

In order to fully comply with OSHA, we really all should be wearing steel toe boots, hearing protection, coveralls, safety goggles (not just glasses), respirators, hard hats and gloves. Not gonna happen.

I would suggest that for anyone who is not intimately familiar with OSHA regulations, obtain some compliance assistance. There are many programs that vary from state to state, but in general, they will tell you what you need to do to be in compliance, but do not have enforcement authority. Slowly, government agencies are realizing that small businesses cannot possibly comply with the myriad of regulations without some help.

Here's a link to compliance assistance. http://www.governmentguide.com/govs...//www.osha.gov/

One important side note. You are also responsible for OSHA compliance by an subcontractors you hire. If they get cited for a violation, you likely will be too."

5. racerdave

I don't quite agree with the last post, specifically the need for a physician for resirator fitting. But i will tell you that osha relies heavily on industry for their regulation.

For example: 1910.6 CFR 29 (regulation by incorporation) means that certain trade associations such as ASME B30.11 1967 rukes became OSHA rules in Aug. 1972 but they strongly recommend you follow the latest version which is usaully less than 5 years old....

I've been spending alot of time in the 1910.179 and the ANSI/ASME B30' lately

6. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Racerdave - Yes, you need to determine if the employee is "medically able to use that respirator." That's the job of a physician. Note that there is a distinction made between a respirator and a dust mask.

Here's a direct quote from the OSHA standard

1910.134(c)(2)(ii)
    In addition, the employer must establish and implement those elements of a written respiratory protection program necessary to ensure that any employee using a respirator voluntarily is medically able to use that respirator, and that the respirator is cleaned, stored, and maintained so that its use does not present a health hazard to the user. Exception: Employers are not required to include in a written respiratory protection program those employees whose only use of respirators involves the voluntary use of filtering facepieces (dust masks).

1910.134(c)(3)
    The employer shall designate a program administrator who is qualified by appropriate training or experience that is commensurate with the complexity of the program to administer or oversee the respiratory protection program and conduct the required evaluations of program effectiveness.

1910.134(c)(4)
    The employer shall provide respirators, training, and medical evaluations at no cost to the employee.

7. racerdave

8. Darryl G

Dave - The employer is not qualified to determine if a person is medically able to wear a respirator? That is the job of the physician who reviews the questionaire you mentioned. I'm 1 million percent sure of this. OSHA is very clear on their interpretation to this over the years. You can do a search for their interpretation letters on their web site and see for yourself. A physical exam may or may not be required, but a physician has to do the evaluation.

FYI - I used to deal with this issue on a regular basis in a previous career when doing environmental compliance audits of manufacturing facilities, as well when acting as the supervisor and site safety officer on hazardous waste sites. I was a certified hazardous waste operations supervisor for almost 15 years as well as a lead paint and asbestos inspector. Not trying to toot my horn, just giving some background on how I know, so trust me on this one. :)

9. Darryl G

I don't want to confuse anyone. The first sentence of my last post was not meant to be a question...typo on my part.

10. racerdave

We used to do the whole gambit in respect to respirator medicals for everything from half face to scba (this included a full compliment of breathing exercises, xrays,ekg...). The doc now only sees people who may have a respiratory issue (if they stated that on their questionare). The fit tests are done annually or when an employee experiences a weight change of 25 pounds; by the safety instructors.

BTW the doc is also a employee of the company.

David