1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Osram IRC "eco" lamps

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Viewpoint, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Viewpoint

Viewpoint LawnSite Member

Anyone have experience with the Osram line of IRC lamps? I had purchased some from FUSA but they don't seem to be around any more.

I have a project with 8 of these lamps in a special situation (trying to balance loads on an arbor, limited by the wiring) and want to get some replacement lamps. Anyone have a lead on where to get them? Specifically the G4 base 14w (20w equivalent light output) lamp?

Thanks!

2. Classic Lighting

Classic Lighting LawnSite Senior Member

3. Viewpoint

Viewpoint LawnSite Member

Osram makes the "eco" line, which is an IRC lamp. According to how I read it, the infra-red coating reflects the heat back into the envelope, allowing the filament (and surrounding gasses) to burn hotter (= brighter)with less energy consumed, thus the 14w energy consumption with 20w light output. Yes I know, 20 watts is not a measure of light output, but you know what I mean.

I have had fairly good results with these lamps. Life is less consistent and seems to be shorter than my standards (GE CC MR-16s and Xenon G4's), but they cannot be beat for traditional halogen lights. I know, LEDs can do better, but some applications just won't work with LEDs. The project in question was one of them...water intrusion into fixtures. I need the heat to dry out the luminaire, and I think the moisture would kill most LEDs.

Apparently my source still has them, so I'll go there.