1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Other contractors in the way?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mdb landscaping, Jul 1, 2001.

1. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i was wondering what you guys do when you pull up to house your about to mow and there is already a contractor in the way. i have one house that i show up to mow and they have a masonry contractor there putting in stone walls. they had a kubota loader and bobcat in the driveway and they were only working towards the back. there was no where to park with all their equipment, so i came back later in the afternoon. they were still working, but i had a schedule. i mowed the whole yard except one spot. what would've you done?
  2. when somebody else is there i just find a place to park, and get the job done, stay away from the other guys who are doin their thing. stay out of their way, because they are gettin a lot more money than you are. so let em work. they will be gone soon, and then you will be back to your regular schedule there, plus maybe some other work.
  3. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I would have done the same thing that you did. You cannot be expected to work around the other contractors schedule, especially if the customer did not contact you in advance and told you that someone else would be working there on your regular mow day.

4. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

If there were no place to park, I guess you have to come back later or ask them to rearrange their vehicles. As far as mowing, I only cut where they are not and will not move anything nor ask them to. Painters are the worst. They have everything all over the yards and don't even think about spending 2 minutes to move anything. :angry:
  5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

No roofers are the worst, i think they take handfuls of nails and throw them out in the yard, or it seems that way. I am gaurenteed a flat after a roof is done.
  6. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

just imagine doing the housing & common grounds areas in a housing development which may take 2 years to finish ....working with the roofers, painters, stucco & pool guys ...tons of trash, rebar, broken chunks of cement in the grass ... just got to work around em & do lots of weed wacking :->
  7. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Iwould definitely cut what I can and then bill full price. It's not your fault that they were in your way.
  8. my favorite is when the driveway get sealed on the day you to mow and you can't cut the whole yard

we just mow around it and bill full when we come the next time cut what we didn't get before
  9. Pauls Mowing

Pauls Mowing LawnSite Member

I'm in the same boat as Steve. I mow 6 subdivisions, about 120 lots total. Some have several vacant lots together, others have homes under construction. We mow what we can get, and do weed wacking where the tractor can't get. We get along well with the contractors, we are all there doing our job. It's not a problem, works out quite well. This is a niche that we decided to do, very few others do this type of mowing.

10. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

If the street is not heavily traveled, sometimes if we can be in and out in 10 minutes or less we will park alongside the trucks already there if the curbs are full all the way up on both sides.

If it will take us a while, we have been known to park up the block or around a corner. If you have to make a second trip back, you will be eating the extra travel time and therefore I would make every possible effort to cut when you get there the first time.