Other Grass Cutters

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by seven-up, Jul 3, 2004.

1. seven-up

seven-up LawnSite Member
    from la

Sometimes I wonder about other grass cutters in my area. Sometimes they don't seem to be brightest bunch. Just today, I'm cutting a gas station. Another cutter pulls up along side as I'm loading up. He says, "Well, I see that you cut grass too." I turn around and want to say No s&*( ... but i don't. I turn around, and with a straight face say, "No, I just bought this 10,000 dollar lawn mower to sit on my trailer so it would make the trailer look good." He said, "Ok, have a good one." And then drove off. I just shook my head and went on to my next account.

John

2. greensway

greensway LawnSite Member
    from ohio

How about the guy that always is next to you at the gas pumps that says "I was thinkin' bout doing that myself....."

lane (small).jpg

3. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Yup, I get people saying both of those. lol

4. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

No they are not known for being the smartest bunch which is why I went into the trade I figure its a whole lot easier to build an business empire when you are smarter then 95% of your competition. That part has been found to be true for me the negative is employees tend to be even dumber and that is starting to drive me nuts. I'll give and order then demand he repeat’s it to me to be sure he heard it and 20 mins later did I not tell you not to go near the pool oh I forgot.

5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe he was just trying to make conversation and didnt realize you were a 22 year old punk with an attitude.

6. Steve1

Steve1 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think the guy's effort to make conversation ("I see you cut grass too") was ANY sort of indication that he's not as smart as you.

Judging by your venomous and sarcastic response, if I were him, I would have to believe you to be at the minimum, some sort of a$$clown with an attitude. Yeah, that would be pretty much spot-on.

Give people the benefit of the doubt, ok? Sounds to me like the guy was just trying to be friendly with someone else in the business, not start WW III or insult your intelligence. Your remark to him was WAY out of line and in my view, reflected negatively on everyone else much more than his statement.

Perhaps you've had a little too much of Bill Enval's "Here's your sign" standup lately? After you've been around the block a few times, I think you'll see how wrong you were. ;)

Peace.

7. TROTTMAN

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

seven-up,

I don't think the man did anything stupid at all. He was just saying that to strike a conversation. How insecure are you that you have to snap back a sarcastic comment to him? Grow up. You may have missed out on potential connection that could help you out or hook you up someday. I feel bad for the man, I can't believe he was kind enough to only reply, "okay well have a good day..."

8. moneyman

moneyman LawnSite Member

He was just trying make conversation. Porblem is you dont have enough sense to relaize people dont have conversational skills as "savy" as you.
    How would you like it if someone treated your father,brohter or mother that way?

9. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Ditto on the sarcastic remark. We are all doing the same here on Lawnsite, Saying "Hay, we all cut grass"
    Even if there is no furture benifit in knowing this guy it is beter to have friends out there than enemies.

10. snippy

snippy LawnSite Member

Hey seven up you need to post a pic of your set up here for the good folks at Lawnsite so as they know to just ignore it and look the other way if they ever see some scumbag stealing equiptment out of your trailer.