Other Green Industry Forums

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sean Adams, Dec 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

I decided to post this to answer some questions that some mebers have at times...

From what I understand, there are other lawn and landscape forums out there just like LawnSite....is this true????;) I had no idea....I thought LawnSite.com was the only one that existed...

OK, of course I'm kidding. I know there are other forums out there. And I know many LawnSite members visit these forums. And contrary to what some may believe or say elsewhere, I have no problem with other sites existing. In fact, I have said many times, the more the merrier....

Yes, it is true, we do not allow other industry forum sites to be mentioned or linked to on LawnSite.com. There is nothing to hide, but certainly something we are not going to promote.

When was the last time you read on the side of a Pepsi can...."Be sure to try Coca-Cola too!"???

The fact is, a lot of time, effort, money and hard work goes into LawnSite.com. Chuck started this forum and made it possible for Green Industry business owners to come and communicate with one another. Pierre keeps the ball rolling. Jodi and the Moderator keep the site clean, professional and in order. We work hard to promote the site and bring members here to help grow and improve not only their businesses, but the industry as a whole.

If other forums are going to exist, no problem. If they are going to work hard to develop their communities as we have with LawnSite, I wish them well.

But, if anyone here has other lawn and landscape companies name's and phone numbers on their business card, I'd like to see one.

With that being said, we will continue to work hard to make this site the only place you want or need to go. But, I am well aware that variety is the spice of life....did I say that right?
  2. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds fine to me ... ;)
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

what about if on the other site the articles, not the message board or forum on the site, offers news or information relating to the green industry in general that can help out fellow LCO's?
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Good point.

Part of the reason for being here is to share information. I've been at this business (starting next year) 10 years and if I can share information that can help another LCO make his/her business stronger, I would like to do so.

So since not everything I learn comes from LS, what alternatives are there?
  5. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I do not have any listed on my business cards but there are several I will recommend if a customer is looking for a service I do not offer or do not have time to do. I fully realize I am not the only game in town. I welcome a little competition as long as it is a legit business.

While I can see your point most people do not like censorship. I am a Mod. on a motorcycle board. There is not problem posting links or URL's of other sites on that board. The site owner feels his site is the best and that people will stay with us even after trying the other boards. And he is correct in that assumption. We are just over a year old and are already the second largest MC site on the net with close to 13k active members.

On the other hand posting here is a privaledge, not a right. If people do not like your rules they are free to leave at anytime.
  6. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I usually give my sales speel and when they say that they are price shopping I give them the names of some of my competitors with the and the statement " oh I thought you were shopping for the best, if you are just price shopping try these folks. They are cheaper"
  7. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Well said Sean.
  8. EvandSeby

EvandSeby LawnSite Member

I have visited some other sites......The ones I have seen aren't as good as Lawnsite!!!
  9. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

This makes me think of the Christmastime movie "Miracle on 34'th Street" where it was unheard of to have department stores, like Macys, send people over to other stores for items. Personally, I haven't felt a need to skip around to other boards, or landscape forums. I'm an ol' dog and I've learned some new tricks right here. However, I think that it would be a pity to 'censor' out advice or links that could benefit a person needing help. There are wonderful sponsors on this site and I'm willing to bet that most of us have visited their sites and have looked at their items, but not all of us have or use their products. Therefore, should posts be censored that mention Walker or Scag mowers simply because they are not sponsors of this website? I think, Sean, that this leads to a dark road that also happens to be a two way street. A perceptive person once said, "You can cage the singer but not the song."
  10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Thank you tiedeman, I was going to make this point earlier, but had to run.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.