Other LCO's Giving you biz?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Phishook, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Another LCO came up to me while I was servicing the mowers at a shop in town....
    asking how I liked my Dane and how he hated his....Bla Bla Bla...

I didn't really know him, but know who he was.

The proceeds to try to help me get some new accounts(5-8 acounts, about $400 a week). He say's some guy is doing the and he not getting the job done,

AND HE'S A S.O.B.

I will really need the Biz next year, and could take them on this year.

What's this guy uo to? He also offered to sell me parts at his Wholsale cost.

2. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

Just get there names and give them a call. It could be on the up and up.I gave 4 away about a month ago because i just did not want to take any more on. The dude might just want to make a friend.

3. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I got 6 new accounts that way and they are very good customers!Come to find out the guy i got the accounts from was just starting to do all landscaping.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I've given away several of mine and pass on names and phone #'s a lot. Don't try to over-analyze this.

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I agree that you should have taken the names and phone numbers. Everyone is different and this could have been his way to trying to be nice and pass on some work he couldn't handle.

6. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a couple accounts that are out of the way, but are good accounts none the less. If I stay part time or don't pick up anymore yards in that area, next year I will probally try to pass them on to a buddy of mine that is a little closer to them. This will help to streamline my routes and make me more productive. So Phishook, if you really want those customers, I say GFI.

Are We Having Fun Yet??? :dizzy:

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I got 2 this year (+500/month +add ons) from a guy that I met at the dump last year. He expanded out to bigger stuff and had to dump some of his slower properties. I got 2 river properties that he had to mow with a WB. I can mow them with the Walker. One of the customers is a bit of a PITA but he pays upon invoice and he is loaded. The requests and small suggestions he gives me are not too bad. I can handle him for the money I get. The other is a golden customer, pays right away, compliments the work and never complains.

I'm gonna buy the guy a gift cert for a dinner for him and his wife and give it to him after the season ends. Its the least I can do for him.

8. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

Yup, don't look the gift horse in the mouth.
    The world is not out to get you.
    I recently had the same experience with an older LCO in my home town.
    He'd like to get smaller (just have something to do in his last few years of production) and wanted to give his clients to someone who would care for them.
    I love a small town!
    Good Luck

9. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

We routinely refer or trade accounts with other LCO's. If we can better serve our customers that way, we do it. We don't view our competitors as the enemy. More of us could help each other and everyone befefits. Good luck.