Other options besides a Trailer???????

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by lc41, Feb 16, 2011.

1. lc41

lc41 LawnSite Member

To get right to the point, I'm starting up my lawn care business. I'm doing everything legally, and my question is,

I'll be focusing mainly on small residential jobs. I'll be using a Lawnmower, edger, and blower.

I currently drive a 2007 Impala, and I really need to figure out how I'm going to transport the equipment. It's not much, but I need to

1. Look professional
    2. Carry the equipment safely

I don't have the money to buy a van or truck, and I'm not going to take out a loan to do so.. Anyone have any ideas??

2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Just kidding

ATT00053.jpg

3. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

Try another line of work..

4. Landrus2

Ok if you stay around your house just walk with the equipment. but if you have to travel just sell your impala and get a small pick up truck that would be your best option.

5. Lefet

Lefet LawnSite Bronze Member

Not an easily answered question. Are you employed elsewhere? Why start now? What kind and how large equipment do you have?
    Selling the car and getting a truck sounds like the best solution. depending on the mower you could at least get ramps and get it on the bed of the truck until you're able to get a trailer. I wouldn't consider someone who pulled up to maintain my lawn "professional" in an Impala.
    Although I've seen worse

6. lc41

lc41 LawnSite Member

here's the thing, before i get a lot of crap for the post i made, I do get that a trailer or truck is key. the thing is, i'm on a very tight budget and just can't afford it..

I have a full time job in the morning hours, and i make enough to slide by check by check. it's simply not enough to live comfortably. no chance for a raise, and the pay is honestly terrible.

i've done lawn care in the past and know the basics. i mow, i edge, i clean up good. basic lawn care. that's all i plan on doing.

small residential homes for extra income is what i plan on doing, and if it expands, great.

obviously, i can't lug around a lawn mower in an impala, so what i'm asking is,

if anyone has ever been in my situation starting out, how have you overcome? i'm not looking for a magic solution, i'm just looking for advice on anything you did to get by.

thanks.

7. WOW

WOW LawnSite Member

8. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

You don't seem like you have the resources to do this the right way. That is why I said what i did in my last post. We have trucks,trailers and the equipment set up for our needs.
    You could do like a guy said in another post he put a trailer behind his car. I wouldn't hire someone who showed up with a mower in there car or pulling a trailer with there car with a walmart mower on it. Being professional means spending the money to do so.

THERE IS NO MAGIC SOLUTION!

9. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

The best option is to sell the car and buy an older truck; there is really nothing you could do with the car to look "professional."

10. Landrus2

that one rock's