Other People's Customers (OPC!)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mtdman, Jul 20, 2003.

1. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Here's the dealie-o. At the beginning of the season I got a call for a dethatching job for a woman who lived across from one of my established customers. I went to do the estimate, and discovered while talking to her she had another LCO mowing her yard. She told me she asked him first, but he doesn't do any extras, just plain old mowing. He doesn't even do her leaves, just mows them over! I asked her if it was going to cause her problems with the other LCO if I did the dethatching, and she claimed he was okay with it. So I did it, and seeded the heck outta the thing and she's practically got a new lawn.

I see the other LCO every now and then, he'll wave at me but he's not overly friendly. He's an older dude and always looks angry.

My question is, is it wrong for me to try to sell other extra services to her? She is the other LCO's customer, is it wrong for me to send her fliers for aeration, fall clean up, etc? I'm not looking to steal her as a mowing client from him, but if he's not doing the extras, should I sell my services to her? And if she asks for a mowing estimate, is it wrong for me to give it to her?

Thanks

:D

2. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

If it was me i would sell her on everything except the mowing, which is the only thing the other guy does. That way you are not hurting him and you are helping yourself.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

now this is me, but I would sell the mowing as well. If she wants you to do this additional work, and he can't do it, just sell the mowing as well.

4. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Well...look at it this way

I like McDonald's Fries
    And The Burgers at bk

but Wendy's has pretty good fries AND good burgers.

Price is not really an issue, just what is practical. Why go to two restaurants to be satisfied when I can go to one.

I say go for the full package with her. A business thrives when customers demands are met...so meet them! The competition cant (or wont) so step up to the plate...I'm hungry now...

5. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I'll also add the guy does a crappy job mowing. Always leaves clippings and clumps on the lawn. And the last time I saw him, I watched him mow. Doesn't blow anything, uses his mower to clear off the walks and driveway.

:dizzy:

6. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

OPP, Other peoples properties...
    IMO, if you know the guy then I wouldn't step on his turf & invade his territory.

Either:
    A, You do the extra work, let him do the mowing & avoid a possible conflict.
    B, You do the extra work & possibly pick up a new yr. round customer. Yet step on the other guys feet & he gets upset.
    C, Talk to the guy who mows & work out some kind of agreement where you could provide all the "extras" (where the $ is at). Yet have a mutual agreement where you don't step on his feet for mowing & he don't step on yours for the "extras"...

Sounds like you need to find out where this guy takes his lunch breaks & start up a friendly convo, check out his personality & see where it may lead.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Regardless of how crappy a job he does, IMO I would go and sell the other services. If you don't, there is always the chance someone else will.

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

These are tough calls, my question is this;
    Is this guy really a LCO or a guy out mowing for beer money. If he is legit (taxes, licenses, charging correctly) then you got to give him room. If he is not operating as a business then I would consider selling extras.
    To me it sounds as if the guy is not a LCO but some guy that just mows lawn. Its still your call, you have to live and work there. Good Luck.

9. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Sell the entire package

You operate a business or not??

10. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I would sell the entire package. I find that most of my customers want to only deal with one company.