1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Other professions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MikeLT1Z28, Apr 28, 2002.

1. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

what does/did everyone do other than being an LCO?

I was in the IT field before the Y2K threat hit. After things settled down everyone started downsizing, Sept. 11 didn't help much for jobs either?

How about you guys?

Part timers, what else do you do?

Just wondering where everyone comes from.
  2. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

Full-time dad and husband, lco 20hrs week, journyman machinist 40hrs week. Got to keep the priorities in order. dad quit farming couple years ago, needed something else to do with my time, now I wish I could do mowing full time. maybe next year:D
  3. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

I was a mainframe computer operator for about ten years. I wanted to be a programmer until I worked a third shift and saw how much "computer interuptus" there was! I've also been into pest elimination (mostly commercial).
  4. pakmule

pakmule LawnSite Member

I drive "The Big Brown Truck" Monday thru Friday about 45hrs per week. Then I sacrifice my Saturdays making twice my hourly rate riding my Rocketwheels chariot behind a scag. :eek:
  5. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

Previously a professional greenskeeper for kiawah Island resort, then spent ten years as a professional paint salesman/ industrial coating consultant. Got back into lawn maintenance a little over three years ago mostly for my mental and physical health. Less stress than sales and I've lost a lot of weight running around mowing yards. I've thought about going back to work in the golf maint industry.
  6. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Have a bachelors in economics from Virginia Tech. Worked 6 mos as an intern while in school.

Never really had a real job, though sometimes I have nightmares about having one. Been at this for 8 seasons now.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Director of Training for the Hertz Corporation 1987 - 1994.

Vice President of Management & Marketing Consulting Firm 1981 - 1987.

Owner of my own business since 1994.
  8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Mining engineer and geologist for the largest American-owned brick manufacturer. Have mowed full time now for 3 years. Could never go back to working for someone else. I love this job.:D
  9. Merc145

Merc145 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

FF/Paramedic full time. 1 on, 2 off. Great schedule!!!1
  10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Merc, Did you get my e-mail? Are you with the Fire Dept. here in town? I mow some of the stations.:)