Other Ways To Make Money While Landscaping

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by LandscapeMember, Feb 18, 2007.

1. LandscapeMember

LandscapeMember LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I read about one company successful doing gutter cleaning and holiday lights.

I though about a couple things and believe junk removal would be a worthwhile venture. My landscape/hardscape company does well, but always looking to make more.

I have dump and stake body trucks sitting some days and want to maximize their use. I did a search on this site, but it did not yield much information on junk removal.

Does anyone do this on the side or full time? How much can you make realistically? I have my overhead, but it rolls to the landscaping books, so any junking hauling would be profit minus the employee labor and dump fees. I keep reading how this is a "new" booming business. There are a couple franchises, but do not want to make that investment at this time. I am going to see how well I can do it on my own.

How would I go about advertising? Anyone have proven methods? I can make a double sided flyer with landscaping, but want to keep it separate. I was thinking of opening up a new division under the corp. with a different phone number. I believe customers like a company that specializes in one thing. They might not want to see landscapers, doing junk hauling. That is just my opinion. I will keep both companies separate.

Any information on successes, failures, advertising methods and overall thoughts, I would appreciate it.
  2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

ive had an inground pool since i was 10, about 30 some years....while going to collage i was a maintanence supervisor at a hotel with an indoor pool....health inspectores said i had the best quality and consistancy they ever saw.... so i was thinking, too bad there arent very many pool in my area... mostly small above ground ones....im kind of out in the country

but in a more urban area with upscale homes with inground pools.... that would be very profitable if you have the knowledge balance the chemicals properly and all....
  3. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

There is a lot of things you can do to diversify your business. It all depends on your knowledge and how much you want to do. If you are not sure on how much you know sit down and write every outdoor job or task you have ever done. You may find out a lot that you had not even thought about. Look for something that you can easily tool up and do. But having the add on job is only half the battle you have to figure out how to market it and sell it to your customers as well as future customers.

That is one thing abut the grounds maintenance and landscaping is that it is one of the most diversified industries out there. There is really no end to what you can do. I recently made up a list of 48 diversified services that pertain to lawn, landscape and grounds maintenance. That is a fair chunk.
  4. NMS0219

NMS0219 LawnSite Senior Member

Stay away from gutter cleaning. The insurance is out of this world. It's because you use a ladder. As for junk removal I do it as a seperate business. I have 3 5x8 dump trailers that I rent out. We charge $98 to drop it off and pick it up and $60 a ton 2 ton min. You can put about 3 ton in it. People mostly put junk from the basement or kitchen/bath remodel stuff in it. Real easy cash. To advertise we use local papers and send letters to small contractors. Free bulitin boards at home improvement centers are great too.
  5. lawnmwrman

lawnmwrman LawnSite Member

i am a pet groomer
  6. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

any old metal lying around or old copper pipes we dig out of the ground, or even aluminum siding we pull off a house before we tear it down go to the scrapyard $$
  7. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

NMS - What are you paying to get rid of the junk? Our local landfills charge $58.50 per ton just to dump. I was thinking of doing junk removal also, but I was going to charge around $120 per ton to dump.
  8. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I used to do that. I sold out and started this... I do not miss it one bit.

If you are handy with a welder. Do gates railings and things like that.
  9. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 LawnSite Senior Member

snow plowing , sand/salting.....other than that jan to april sit back and wait for spring clean-ups and chill!.....eat / sleep late:sleeping:
  10. NMS0219

NMS0219 LawnSite Senior Member

$15.75 a ton for residential waste ( couches, stuff in the basement)
    $21.58 for C&D waste (dry wall, shingles, remodeling junk) It all goes to waste management transfer facility. Its less than a half mile from my house
    tires without rims are $3 each