other work

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWNGODFATHER, Jun 20, 2001.

1. does any one do other work in slow times besides lawn and landscape
    in summer
    like sealing
    cleaning pools
    washing cars
    painting fences
    etc.

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

No, too much on our plate as it is.

I know some think it looks unprofessional to dabble with other type of misc. jobs, but I feel this way. Everyone's situation is different. If you need some extra cash, you are handy, and do good work, then by all means do what you can. Just be sure to be insured for this other type of work. That is one important thing to consider.
    And no, I don't know how much extra coverage for this type of thing would cost. We never looked into it.

3. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

Thought I would try my luck at being an astronaut and if that did not pay enough I might become a proffesional fisherman.

4. I wanted to do some sealing when it slowed down I alredy have the ins. for it and the customer that are 95% asphalt drives but no time amy do later

but I wanted to see what you guy's do?

5. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

I was thinking of selling used cars...LOL

6. PrimeGreen Lawn

PrimeGreen Lawn LawnSite Member

I used to teach high school (landscaping and horticulture) before I got into this full time. I have many good contacts with the board of Ed. ( I cut their property), so I substitute teach! Maybe not the highest paying job, but I still love to teach and the kids think I'm really cool. Since there is no contract, I can take off whatever days I want if I need to. Plus whenever it snows, the board of education freaks out around here and closes school.........yeah!, time to plow!

Scott

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

part of my service is handyman.the key is to know what not to try.
    as in watch gas lines ,cables powerlines,etc.they can give you a bad day.also insure for that rotten roof etc.

8. every one in this biz should be muli talented
    we have to fix thing that break fix thing we break at properties

put those talents to good use moke some money!

9. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

When times get slow:

Gutter cleaning.
    Cleaning roofs.
    Power Washing, decks, drives, houses.
    Window Washing.
    re-sealing drives.
    Volenteer w/ neighborhood cleanup projects. good avertising/pr if it makes the news or paper.
    work on your own property.

10. Stephen

Stephen LawnSite Member

I am happy to say business has been good so far, so not many slow times to do one thing specifically, but if a customer asks we will do all of the above listed by you guys if we have some free time. We also do maintenance of foreclosed properties for the banks and mortgage companies. We started out cutting the grass and plowing but now we do everything from drive by inspections, to picture inspections, lock changes, winterizations, cleanouts and even evictions complete with several of your finest law enforcement officials to remove the tenants and direct their placement of possessions out on the street. I have a friend who does alot of this and runs several crews and they are occasionally accomponied by the SWAT team.