Ouch! City budget woes.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Feb 26, 2009.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I have mentioned that our water rates are going up (about 41%), and everybody is having budget cuts. City parks and medians will be fairly brown this year unless we get a lot of rain. At an earlier Ewing seminar, I found out that the city folks would be trying to get away with 12" of total water for the year (article now says 11"). and that Kentucky bluegrass here needs about 24". the city is going to get a lot of nasty phone calls this summer. But, that's what happens with K. bluegrass at 6500', in a semi-arid desert climate, when water is limited. Our average precip total is about 12" total. Some of that is snow fall, and the rainfall often comes in monsoon style storms where great amounts fall in one shot. Gonna be a fun year.

Water budget woes

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

What could they replant with?

3. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm really curious how many of our parks have smart controllers.

I've noticed last year the medians on Union blvd. are watered mon,wed,fri no matter what the conditions are. Huge excesses of water running down the road.

I'm thinking a lot of the parks have poorly run and maintained systems with DU's barely above 50%.

Maybe we could adopt a park system?

4. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Tall Fescue. Weve got a prop with mostly tall fescue, but for the park in K bluegrass. Takes about half the water to look decent. It is not a "fine" or very soft grass, but looks good cut weekly, so a fine substitute IMO.

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Tom - I saw two systems running yesterday. One was an HOA common area in Stetson Hills. Another was an apartment complex on Austin Bluffs near Woodmen. I hope they realize their yearly budget is going to sacrifice by watering now.

6. Here is the key sentence in that article inmo:

At this point it doesn't do the city parks any good but it can be used to show residential and business owners the importance of upgrading and not waiting. Also off the wall thinking but what if a private individual spearheaded an effort to get donations from businesses or supply houses or manufacturers water conserving products.

7. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Dana,

Interesting thought that weve considered putting in to place.

An irrigator or Landscape company will go in and put in a central control/et system and take over regular irrigation maintenance, free of charge, at an HOA or comm property. You foot the bill for the new controllers, thence, track water use and water saved over the past couple years and take a fair portion of the savings, paid to you by the customer. Depending on the irrigation management before you came along, you could make well more than you would have charged for a contract. Of course you charge for your normal head repairs and so on.

Of course a thourough review of the property and its current and past usage would have to be done to determine pheasability.

8. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

Shamwow! Looks like an early start to the season?

9. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

a 40% water savings could easily be realized with todays efficiency measures, thus keeping the grass green for the same price.

That upfront money would be a problem, to make the upgrades.

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I've thought of that for audits too. But since I'm irrigation only, not many large complexes have two contractors - lawn maintenance and irrigation. Just as you wouldn't want another company touching the irrigation on one of your properties. But I think it is a great idea.