ouch my eye!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jokatico, Jun 29, 2004.

1. jokatico

jokatico LawnSite Member
    from maine

About 6 years ago, as I was testing out my new string trimmer, I started to trim my own yard and I got hit in the eye with the head of a dandelion. Ever since than I always wear some kind of eye protection. I even go as far as to tell my neighbors of the importance of eye protection. Well...last week I was doing my last lawn of the day and it was just getting a little dark, my tinted glasses were a little to dark so I took them off. Wouldn't you know it , bam a rock in the eye.
    :cry:
    Luckily it hit my eye at a slow speed so no damage was done, but it hurt like heck. From now own I am going to keep 2 sets of glasses in my trucks: tinted and clear or yellow.
    Anyone trim with no eye or ear protection?

2. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I once used the tinted glasses only, but for that very reason I now have two pairs, Tinted and Clear.

3. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I have presciption glasses with saftey lens, so that isn't a worry. I never use hearing protection though.

4. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Locutus, where did you get your script saferty specs? Can you get em' online anywhere if you have your script? Cheap?

5. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

No, not cheap. Look like regular glasses. Any eyeglass business should be able to get them for you.

6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I use ear protection, no eye protection. You'd be surprised how fast the eye lid reflex gets after 16 years :eek:

7. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

I never wore anything until this year, it was too uncomfortable. But I saw people on here using "Radians" and i took a chance. Love them. use them when I trimming and mowing. they're comfortable enough, that I wear them (without ear plugs) when i'm just driving with the family. My wife said i look like the terminator, but the last time i checked, the terminator was kicking azz, so its OK.

8. Prot1

Prot1 LawnSite Member

Its not that fast man. Its only a matter of time until you lose an eye =(

9. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

remember you only have two eyes, and they have to last you the rest of your life.

10. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

i ALWAYS wear eye protection if im trimming. and i MAKE my employee wear eye protection too... if he doesnt I ***** ***** ***** and ***** some more!!! lol. i have a set of stihl ear protetors, and i hang em on the rollbar of my truck. i used em in the beginning of the year, but it started to give me an infection and bumps on my ear and such because after wearing em for a while the sweat builds up and well i got acne. same reason i dont wear hats, too much sweat and ya get acne all over. well for me atleast. dont ya love being a teen! lol