1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ouch, my poor lawn truck

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Jason Rose, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Well I guess the pic will tell all... I put it in drive and it hesitated before engaging, I pushed the gas and then let off as soon as i realized it was a no go. Too late, it decided to grab 1st and WHAMMO clunk clunk clunk. At first I though it was the U bolts on the rear end snapped again. No such luck. As bad as it looked I actually laughed pretty good. Sometimes you just have to laugh...

Took nearly a week to get a shaft from the salvage yard. These old ford trucks (1988 F-250 4x4) are pretty picked over in the scrap heaps these days. 125 bucks for the replacement too, ouch.

2. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Bummer... ;)
  3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Holy Crap.

To be honest, I don't think theres any way your driveshaft would have twisted apart like that unless something was preventing the rear differential from turning.

The odd thing, is that I always considered the rear differential to be the weak link.

I have a gut feeling that a new driveshaft will not fix your truck.
  4. Andersonlawnscape

Andersonlawnscape LawnSite Member

I bet if that was a 1988 dodge that would have never of happened :cool2: Well Just joking I also have a ford truck, but do favor the dodge no real reason ford is a good truck to.
  5. Jason Rose

Yeah, I guess you are right... I may have been rolling, ever so slowly in reverse still when I put it in drive. that, combined with a 20' trailer on the back and the 460 engine turning it had it doomed.

Also, I lost this same driveshaft a year or so ago when a U bolt on the rear end snapped. It took some good hits on various things under there before I was able to get stopped and I did notice a small dent on the shaft, I believe right about where it twisted a year later.

As for now, the new (salvage) shaft has me rolling again. However a new problem is cropping up with the transfer case. I changed the fluid in it and replaced the rear seal but it's getting VERY loose and I'm having a lot of grinding and vibration while driving. There was probably only half a quart of fluid in it when I changed it and it has since then, in a day, all ran back out. The hunt is on tomorrow for a "new" one.
  6. Dirty Water

If its just a sloppy seal, that wouldn't be all that hard to replace.

Good luck.

BTW, StrongBad e-mails are great :)
  7. Jason Rose

Hummm, are you any kind of a mechanic? I'm not much of one... I replaced the rear output shaft seal, but of course that isn't really meant to keep oil in, just keep dirt out. I think oil seals are the least of my worries though. Like I said I'm hearing and feeling a lot of grinding noise, the kind that speeds up and slows down in revolutions with the truck. the transmission seems to be fine and the U joints are as good as new. Seems that the transfer case is my weak link. How much play should there be in the output shaft? I think mine is getting pretty excessive. I can move the driveshaft up, down and side to side pretty much as fas as the rear seal will let me. That can't be good...
  8. Dirty Water

My thought is that your leaking oil seals has made you drive extensively without much fluid in your transfer case.

Of course, by this point, the damage is probably irreversible, and you'll be better off replacing it.
  9. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I've only saw that type of damage one time. A kid in highschool had a Jeep that he threw into reverse while pulling forward at a slow speed. twisted it right off. He had to run it as front wheel drive for a couple days before he could get the new shaft on. How fast do you think you were rolling when it happened out of curiosity?
  10. Jason Rose

I was literally barely moving. I'm bad about doing that a lot, though it's never actually caused any problems with any vehicle Iv'e owned.