ouch... what hurts the most?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brianslawn, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

what do you think hurts the lawnmowing industry as a whole, the most?

what are some regional problems?

2. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

The brain or lack of a brain ,of LCO'S and scaper's the Mow-Joe mentality

3. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Lack of licensing, insurance, knowledge and just plain legitimacy in general. Like 6'7" said, "Mow-Joe Mentality."

4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

The ever decreasing value of the work, ever rising cost of doing business, and fierce competition

5. turf dog

turf dog LawnSite Member

Brian,

How much competition is in Northwest AR. In West Little Rock we are there seems to be alot. One of our biggest local companies Healthy Lawn and Shrubs just sold off their fert and weed control division to Chemlawn. They kept their maintanince and landscape div. To answer your question about hurting the industry I also believe it is the lack of knowledge that some of these people about the industry and running a bus. like having insurance.

6. Mower63

Mower63 LawnSite Member

In South Florida....

1. Mow Joe mentality....customers want the cheap price but want you to have a PhD in horticultural science and a crew with MBA's (at $ 10.00 / hour LOL ;) ).

2. Un-educated customers from the North...don't understand that everything grows year round down here and want everything weedless, spotless and looking like the first hour after it was trimmed. (Some plants like downey jasmine down here can grow inches per day...try and explain that to someone from New Jersey....they don't get it!)

3. Unlicensed, un-professional, shoddy equipment, poor/no scheduling, un-reliable LCO's .... but in the end they get the work because they are....you guessed it...CHEAP....and bottom line is a lot of people would rather ignore the fact that someone on their property has no worker's comp but is saving them $5 as opposed to a legitimate business.

4. Uneducated consummers - given the complexities of correctly managing landscapes (fert, maintenance, pest, irrigation) and the laws governing such work, correctly to acheive good results is poorly understood by the GP.

Yeah...I had a crappy week after the hurricanes. Every 2-bit fly by night tree service and clean-up crew descends into South Florida to make a quick buck and leaves behind a boat load problems and perception that everyone in this industry are a bunch of redneck hucksters just wanting to rip everybody off....great for long term businesses....:angry:

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Regulation. - The ease of being able to do this without being accountable for anything. There are just so many people geting into it, that the market is just saturated. Sure, there is alot of work out there, but by now, the pricing structure is so far spoiled and ruined, that it will NEVER take a turn to where it should be. The thing is, is that it is dictated by services who will only be here for 3 to 6 years, then disappear - only to be replaced by 2 NEW services that come out gung-ho with lower prices to gain more work. No one knows the expenses of the business when they get into it, because better than 90% of the "businesses" that start out only dabble in it and just get their feet wet. They don't pay the insurances, the taxes, the licensing where necessary, or many of the other costs.

8. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Near complete amputation of the left index finger.......That hurt like an SOB last Tuesday.

I would also like to sort of aggree with Runner except to say that what hurts us most is the lact of enforcement on unlicensed applicators.

9. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

i see a new lawn boy everyday. at least when gas prices went up the ones driving in from oklahoma or missouri every day dropped off. terravista just got bought out. largest lawn/landscape company in town. tgcl??? they dont have a presence in nwa, yet, other then the cleaning and dead bug sides of thier consolidation. if it was them, then by next year its just going to be me, shanes company, and dead lawn around here. all others are going to be workin for us for in the unemployment line, again.

thanks for the chat joe, and yet another good post from you.

nobody said bush and gas prices? i guess kootoo hasnt read it yet.

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

so true. I completely agree