our 2009 television ad (30 seconds)

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Feb 16, 2009.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I thought you guys would be interested in seeing our (new) ad. It was filmed in mid August 2008. Two guys were on vacation, but the rest are shown at the end. Yes....the old fart is me. :laugh:

I posted our old ad last summer so you guys could critique it (thank you). I forwarded your ideas to the TV station, and here's what they came up with. I kinda liked the old one better, but I'm no expert. :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0FHLBhjr4g&feature=channel

Please keep in mind that thirty seconds isn't enough time to do it justice. This ad will air on 3 or 4 local TV stations from mid March through April. Costs range from $5 to $700 per spot depending. $700 for a 30 second spot on the six o'clock news on KCCI-TV. 3:00 a.m. = $10. KCCI-TV produced the ad (as usual), and they have a larger viewership than all other TV stations combined. It will air on KCCI-TV (CBS), KDSM-TV (FOX), and WHO-TV (NBC). TV reps will visit us later this week to nail down schedules & prices. It will probably be shown about 500 times by the end of April.

Feel free to respond with your thoughts. Again, I thank all who made suggestions on our old ad. (It can also be seen on youtube). Thanx :usflag:

2. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

3. americanlawn

from midwest

We figure the total cost of our TV ads to be less than $7000.

BTW, the customer holding his wife's puppy is a retired Marine Corp officer who saw alot of action during the Viet Nam war. We asked him to do the testimonial cuz it tied in with our company name as well as our true respect for American Patriotism. :usflag: Viewers of the ad will never know this............but we do, and we will never forget the sacrifices made by those who risked (and lost) their lives for this Country. Some say this Country is going down the drain........these are people I want nothing to do with. God bless the USA!

QUOTE=kootoomootoo;2775152]Is this something that would cost $20,000 total?[/QUOTE]

4. billyc

billyc LawnSite Member
    from ohio

After watching that add, a lot of things about you are more clear.

5. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

[/QUOTE]

At $700 a spot when the news is on and with a $7000 budget how many times would you run it during the news...3 or 4>?
    Just wondering what your strategy is to maximize air time.

6. americanlawn

from midwest

Thanks billyc - I'm just a guy trying to make a living. We butted heads in the past, but that was wrong, and I regret it. Z vs T, etc. I respect your opinions very much. Thanx for responding. Your Iowa bud, Larry :waving:

7. americanlawn

from midwest

3 or 4 times is enough during the six o'clock news. The rest are aired during other times when the costs are less. Each station offers different plans. Usually they show us 3 different options per TV station. Then we chose.

At $700 a spot when the news is on and with a $7000 budget how many times would you run it during the news...3 or 4>?
    Just wondering what your strategy is to maximize air time.[/QUOTE]

8. albhb3

albhb3 LawnSite Senior Member

sorry but your hair kinda distracted me is that died or nat. thanks

9. americanlawn

from midwest

My wife said the same thing. I ended up getting a haircut the next day. BTW when I started with the "original" ChemLawn back in the late seventies, they told me I needed to cut my hair & shave my beard. My hair was down to my shoulders, and I had a full beard. So I shaved it off & cut my hair.

But to this day -- I'm still proud to be a "hippy". :laugh: Go figure. When one thinks they're 'old'...that's when life goes downhill.

If I did not have to rely on our business for an income, I would let my hair grow long -- very long. And I would be living in the Caribbean. That's my dream.

10. albhb3

albhb3 LawnSite Senior Member

Good video tho