1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Our box truck

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by Tadams, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

Here is my new ( to me anyway ) box truck. Here is the story: I have been wanting a box truck for about a year. I have been watching ebay, craigslist, the local trader, and anything else that I could find that sells these trucks. I didn't want a diesel because I know nothing about them and I have heard that there were some issues with the older one. I wanted a 16' because of the equipment that I have and want to put in it and I knew that a 14' would be too small. I never found one that felt right. Well, on Sat Nov. 25th I was on ebay and saw this truck in Michigan. I called the guy and after talking to him I felt pretty good about the truck. He took it off ebay after I sent him a small deposit. That night I bought a round trip ticket to Michigan for Wed. the 29th. 59 bucks each way on Airtran! My wife couldn't believe what I was doing. We live in GA and I barely knew where Michigan was on a map much less how to get home from there. Well, it turns out that there is a major interstate that runs from GA to Michigan- I-75. It's about 2 miles from my house and about 10 miles from the guys house. About 700 miles from his house to mine though.

Back to the story. I fly up there and he picks me up and we go back to his house. I drive the truck around for about 20 minutes- the whole time I'm listening to this guy and trying to figure out if he is full of crap about the truck. We go back to his house and I stat looking for something wrong. Well, it had a small pin hole in a return line for the transmissionn cooler. We fixed that and I drove it for about a hour and everything is fine. I pay the guy and head out. I fill up with gas and get on the interstate at 7:05 pm. I drive all night long and get home at about 9:45 am on Thursday. That's nearly 15 hours! Man was I tired.

Well, I got back and got dovetail and ramp put on. I put most of my equipment in it and started mounting the racks. Then the guy that will letter it up finally called me and said the he can do it. So here are the pics:

Attached Files:

2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

very nice! congradulations
  3. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

is it just me or are the seasons in the wrong order.

winter, summer, fall, spring

when it should be

winter, spring, summer, fall
  4. Tadams

Allure, I hadn't even noticed that. I'll have to see if the sign guy can fix that.

Thanks Kajun!
  5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

How many miles? How much did you pay? The tailgate looks tough... where did you get it made?
  6. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice truck Tadams, I like the name and logos. Cool story, too. I guess you found out how reliable the truck was! Good luck with it.
  7. Tadams

Lawnworks, it has 162,000 miles on it. It is an auto and the 350 chevy motor. I gave $4500.00 for the truck, $1500.oo for the ramp- I could have saved 200-300 on the ramp but I would have to leave the truck with the company for about a week and drive 2 1/2 hours each way to get there. Womack truck bodies in Dallas, GA put it on for me. They had 5 or 6 already made and ready to put on. I got to their shop at 8:30 am and I was leaving at 10:00 am. They did a first rate job on the whole process.

Thanks Al!

I was hoping for a little better gas mileage but that is the only thing that I can complain about. I might be getting 10 mpg but I was only getting a little better than that pulling a trailer so it's not that big of a deal.
  8. Tadams

Here are some more pics.

Attached Files:

9. Tadams

Oh, don't laugh at the hooks that I used for the shafts on the trimmers. I'm gonna use the other green touch rack in another place in the box to hold pole trimmer, an extra trimmer, and whatever else I can find to put in it.:hammerhead:
  10. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

$4,500? Hell i'd say thats a deal! Great buy.